Why not a new class of auto exempt from safety regs?

Motorcycles are exempt and perfectly legal. No safety belts, no nothing. Then there are 4 wheel cars saddled with crash worthiness and air bags and all the rest. That makes them very heavy and places limitations as to what
the engineers can do.
It would seem to me there should be a third class, a four wheel exempt vehicle. Any enclosed vehicle would seem to be safer than a two-wheeled motorcycle, so why should the government object to it.
Such a car might weigh in the neighborhood of 1200 lbs and with a small diesel have reasonable performance, yet get 75 mpg or better. It would be safer than a two-wheeler and get twice the economy of small, but overweight conventional cars. GM, push for a new exempt class of 4 wheel microcar and get ahead of the curve for a change.
Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info https://www.mixmaster.it

Man you're a redneck. lol

Me, I used to stop when I found a little crap box on the side of the road. And give them a lift.
Next time I will drive right by in my V8 4x4....
snipped-for-privacy@mixmaster.it says...

Some specialty cars are 3-wheelers, which lets them be classified as motorcycles. That is one way around certain safety certifications.