Why so many leftover 2004 Tauruses ?

I saw an ad in the paper today for 18 2004 leftover Tauruses "starting at" $10,7000". Why aren't they selling? I am tempted to buy one. Have the Tauruses up until now been fairly reliable? I've heard one good report about a

92 Taurus, and one bad report about another ( don't know the year) Taurus.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
User132384

Read the fine print. There probably demos or program cars. I saw a few local promos around here a few months back and went to the dealer. The lowest price ones were NOT zero mile cars. That does not mean there not a good deal. Do your homework. Of course, that price probably includes every bogus rebate on the books if it is new.

I would not buy a 500 until they have made them for a few years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Starting at $10,7000?

That's $107,000 apparently you put the comma in the wrong place, or was there an extra zero ;-}

Reply to
I Care

Those are probably service loaners, demo cars and similar. They may be 'new' in that they were never titled, but probably have several hundred to several thousand miles on them.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

They are cheap because they haven't been selling very well. Tauruses are boring cars and, in my humble opinion, not very attractive. Reliability is average or better.

The competing Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick Regal are similar cars but much better looking (also more expensive).

Reply to
Rex Tincher

Good advice. I notice the good prices in the newspaper, then I see the recent college grad discount, the dealer loyalty discount, the GM return costumer discount, and sometimes the trade in in figuring the price.

When I bought my Ford Contour, the dealer offered me one with about 4k on the odometer. The dealer said that it was used by the owner's wife. I figured I was getting a car that should have any problems worked out, was at less than invoice (they said it was at the price they really paid for it, like $1000 less than invoice, and so I was saving like 10% of the price.) So, if the car goes 100,000 mi, I am getting 4% fewer miles, so that is a good deal. Plus, if the car is in a crash or something, it won't really matter. I did get the original title and a recent college grad discount, too.

I am not sure if I should have negotiated for a lower price, but I am happy with the car (and only 110,000 mi on it so far).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

At that $1,700 price it can NOT be unused. The lowest priced, brand new nicely equipped V6 never driven, 2004 Taurus is $16,000. That is a base model including rebates. Less any dealer discount, which will not be more than $1,000. However for around $3,000 more one can get a top of the line SES model, fully loaded with the stronger engine.. That is at LEAST $10,000 less than the drive home price of a similarly equipped fully loaded

2004 V6 Accord or Camry. The Taurus is an excellent vehicle for the money, we have seen thousands of them run up to 300k miles over the years in our fleet service business. That is one reason corporate fleets buy so many of them

mike hunt

Rex T>

Reply to
MelvinGibson

I think you're right.

The invoice price is about $18,500 for the base model.

There is a $4000 rebate, so it brings it down to around $14,500. So maybe you can get a stripped-down base model for $14,500 or $15,000 or so.

So for $10,500 that is either a demo or program car, or the dealer is including some discounts and the trade-in in the advertised price (In other words, making the price seem lower than it is).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There are very few 2004 "new" Tauruses in N.E. Ohio I bought one yesterday. Taurus SE $13,998 Sticker was $21,000 Called 5 dealerships in area ,only found 2 There seems to more of the xl package.

Reply to
Todd