Windex behind radio buttons on Mariner

Hi folks,

A couple of months ago, my wife decided to clean the buttons on her Mariner's radio by spraying Windex directly on the panel and wiping. I believe some Windex must have gone behind the buttons as the radio started freezing up and intermittently working right after. We thought it might dry up over the last couple of months, and while it's improved, it's still doing it some extent.

I've thought about trying to spray some electronic contact cleaner into the buttons, but I'm not sure how good a strategy that is. Any other ideas you can thing of?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

radio by spraying Windex directly on the

the radio started freezing up and

couple of months, and while it's

buttons, but I'm not sure how good a

Is this the same radio as the Escape with 6-CD player? You might be better off pulling it out, and then removing the front panel and using Q-tips and rubbing alcohol around the button areas. Once the cover is off, you can use the contact cleaner lightly around the volume control, if that is also causing problems. (If it isn't, don't mess with it. No sense tempting Murphy's Law ) You can get a puller at your local Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. It should slide right out, then you can disconnect the plugs behind it so you can get it to a good place to work on it.

Reply to
SC Tom

Yes, this is the 6-CD player radio. All the controls are acting up, so cleaner around the volume control makes sense. Is pulling this out simple enough for a guy with two left thumbs to do? ;)

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

Mariner's radio by spraying Windex directly on

buttons as the radio started freezing up and

last couple of months, and while it's

buttons, but I'm not sure how good a

off pulling it out, and then removing the

Once the cover is off, you can use the

problems. (If it isn't, don't mess with

should slide right out, then you can

cleaner around the volume control makes sense.

It's really quite simple. Here's a video for a Focus, but most Ford radios are removed the same way:

I've had the one in my '02 Escape out a few times because the CD changer will act up and I have to pull it to get the CD out. I finally narrowed it down to mostly being number 3, so I don't use that slot any more :-) Once it's out, it's just a matter of using a small Phillips to remove the panel and casing screws.

Reply to
SC Tom

her Mariner's radio by spraying Windex directly on=20

the buttons as the radio started freezing up and=20

over the last couple of months, and while it's=20

into the buttons, but I'm not sure how good a=20

better off pulling it out, and then removing the=20

areas. Once the cover is off, you can use the=20

causing problems. (If it isn't, don't mess with=20

etc. It should slide right out, then you can=20

so cleaner around the volume control makes sense.=20

radios are removed the same way:

changer will act up and I have to pull it to get the CD=20

use that slot any more :-)

the panel and casing screws.

Being an expert at ruining plastic parts, take it apart if you can. = Then try water with some mild hand soap first with a clean cotton cloth = before hitting the hard stuff.

Reply to
Guv Bob

radio by spraying Windex directly on the

the radio started freezing up and

couple of months, and while it's

buttons, but I'm not sure how good a

Did you ever get it working again?

Reply to
SC Tom

Right after I posted that, I got sick for about three weeks. In the meantime, it dried out enough to start working on it's own again. I'm not

100% convinced it will stay that way, but I'll count my blessings for now... Thanks for the suggestions!

Derek

Reply to
Derek Gee

Mariner's radio by spraying Windex directly on

buttons as the radio started freezing up and

last couple of months, and while it's

buttons, but I'm not sure how good a

it dried out enough to start working on

my blessings for now... Thanks for the

Sorry you got sick, but I'm glad it's working again!

Reply to
SC Tom