Windshield Wiper Spring

I have a 1995 Ford Crown Victoria LX. The winshield wiper does not do a good job wiping the driver side of the windshield, passenger side is fine. I have replaced both the wiper blade and its holder to no avail. I suspected the pressure of the blade against the windshield might be a problem so I measured both sides with a spring gauge. Passenger side took 1000 grams to start lifting the blade off the glass. The driver side took only 700 grams. Has anyone ever had this problem and had to replace the spring in the wiper arm and was it difficult? Thank, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells

"Robert L. Wells" wrote in news:W%TGd.8042$nt.7316@fed1read06:

Replace the wiper arm. It should cost about $10 for a new one.

Rodney

Reply to
Rodney

If you buy a new arm, you may have the same problem. I routinely check them for lift effort and "adjust" them by gently bending the "blade" portion of the arm near where it goes into the channel portion of the arm. I also routinely adjust attack angle of the blade edge to the glass using a small adjustable wrench to twist the blade portion of the arm to make sure the rubber edge "flips" properly as it changes direction. You can greatly improve wiper performance with these little "adjustments". Do this properly and noone will observe the slight changes required to get it working properly. You will find that this also keeps them from lifting in the rain. On your CV, make sure they park correctly on the stops to keep pressure off the blade edge when not in use. You do this by repositioning them on the cranks.

Reply to
lugnut

I already tried bending the arm a little to add more pressure so I guess it was even weaker than the 700 grams pressure I read. I'll check the angle, rest position and give it a little more bend. If that doesn't work its off to the auto store. Thank you for your help guys, Bob

Reply to
Robert L. Wells