Windshield Wipers c.1993 Crown Vic

The windshield wipers on my 1993 FORD Crown Victoria LX are malfunctioning. When the control switch is turned to OFF, the wipers do not stow away at the bottom of the windshield. Instead
hesitate for a moment, then park themselves at the top of their stroke on the windshield.
This occurred during some very cold weather when the wipers may have been stuck by freezing rain to the windshield.
Is this an electrical or a mechanical problem?
The stalk switch on the steering column seemed to be acting flaky, too.
It appears as if there is something missing--either a polarity reversal for the motors or some mechanical escapement mechanism-- which will make the wipers reverse direction at the last minute and go to their normal parked position.
Any advice on how to cure this (inexpensively) will be welcomed.
--Jim Hebert Beverly Hills, Michigan
James Hebert wrote:

The Park switch is in the motor housing, not in the switch. The symptom you describe can usually be fixed with a new wiper motor.

The Park function is not actually in the motor[1], but in the wiper motor transmission/park switch assembly[2] which is available as a separate part- it's $36.43 for the transmission separately, the motor is $90.59. I don't know if the motor price includes the whole assembly including the transmisson or not.
Prices from http://www.fordpartsonline.com
[1] The motor does have to work in reverse to park, but it uses the same windings as it does when running in the forward direction.
[2] I think. No pictures on the fordpartsonline.com website.
Mark Olson wrote:

I was a little unclear. When the wipers park in the full up position, it's not caused by the park switch. I was just telling him where it was. You are correct that it is available separately. The problem is caused by the mechanism on the end of the motor shaft, can't remember the name to save my life. It gets worn and turns out of position and causes the wipers to park in the wrong place. The park switch on his motor is working properly. The little hesitation he sees is the transition to the park switch and the motor is going to the park position. The linkage is 180 degrees out of phase.