Windstar 95

I recently started my 1995 Ford Windstar (Whinestar) and there was a wiff of smoke coming from behind the steering wheel maybe from the starter switch assembly. I turned it off and waited for the smoke to
dissipate. Then I started the vehicle and made it home safely (45 minute drive). Later the van turns over well with a healthy battery but the engine does not fire. The starter tries but the engine just does not run. What should I investigate?
Note that a week earlier I could not start the van. Everything went dead except that the battery was alive and well. I changed the starter solenoid and all was well for about a week before the smoking incident above.
My van is now parked in my garage and turns over well but does not run. It is similar to running out of gas. Any help would be appreciated.