windstar misfire #1 Cylinder

Threaded View

Got code for misfire #1 cylinder. Plug wire and plug have been changed.
I think there is a coil pack on this engine.
what should be done next?
Replace coil pack?
Thanks in advance for replies

Re: windstar misfire #1 Cylinder

A coil pack would cause two cylinders to misfire, not just one.  Sounds like
your next step is to check for a vacuum leak, then compression test.  It
would also be helpful to know what kinds of diagnostic equipment you have at
hand, and any specific test results you have, particularly what led to diag
of secondary ignition. Oh yeah, year and engine size could be helpful.

Re: windstar misfire #1 Cylinder

Actually, a faulty coil pack can result in a single cylinder misfire.... if
one end of the secondary winding is shorted to ground or has weak insulating
properties, the other plug can still fire. I know it sounds like one of
those "can't happen" things... but it does....

For the original poster.... what should be "done" next is what should have
been done "first".... For the DIYer, some simple testing using a spark
tester and a known good wire would suffice... The idea behind DIY repairs is
to save money... not offset labour costs by "shotgunning" parts...

Re: windstar misfire #1 Cylinder

Actually, a faulty coil pack can result in a single cylinder misfire

Jim, I don't need to know this, I am not the one asking the question-if you
want to say that the coil pack could be at fault, please respond to the
original poster.

Re: windstar misfire #1 Cylinder

Ted, if you don't like to be corrected don't give bad information.

Re: windstar misfire #1 Cylinder

The OP asked a question- what should be done next?
Replace coil pack?
I suggested that some further diagnosis would be in order, and only threw in
the observation about the coil pack to reinforce it to the poster; I did not
say that it was IMPOSSIBLE that the coil pack was bad, but I felt it
unlikely. Jim's "correcting " me did absolutely nothing to help the poster.
If anything, it only added confusion.
Bad information?  You are a funny guy. You might notice in my first reply
that I asked for some background information that would help someone guide
the poster to the next step, for example, if we as a group knew that the
poster replaced the plug because it was fuel fouled, and the other plugs
were ok, there might be a problem with that particular fuel injector .

Ya with me on this?

Site Timeline