windstar transmission

I have a 1996 Windstar with 115,000 miles. Replaced the 3.8 at 75,000 miles. In the last month the auto tranny has twice stuck in second gear. This is an intermittent problem - I drive it every day for about 25
miles and only twice has this happened, normally is shifts fine. I had the coolant flushed about 40,000 miles ago. Does this sond like an electrical/sensor problem or something much worse? Also, on the gear lever the auto overdrive button id very dimly lit. Is this normal?
There are two electrical connectors at the top of the trans; unplug them and look for signs of brake fluid or antifreeze intrusion; clean the connectors with Brakekleen or similar electrical cleaner. If the problem persists, replace the transmission range sensor.