windstar transmission problem at 36000 KM

my father bought a bran new windstar 3 years ago , and he does not drive it a lot , so in 3 years he only put 36 000 KM on it , and about 1 month after the end of the 36 month warranty , the tranny started to make funny metal noise , so he whent to the ford dealer , and they tested it and they say notting was wrong , and now 4 month later , the tranny is dead it can only go in reverse .

So my question is there anything to do , so it does not cost my dad a full new tranny , because even if the warranty is not valid anymore , to have a tranny dead after only 36 000 KM , must be a factory defect .

so if any of you have a clue or tips on how to proceed please help me , and if possible e-mail me directly it will be faster for me that way , my father is going to the dealer this morning .

patrice

snipped-for-privacy@hybride.com

Reply to
Pat

write some letters to ford consumer service, the zone mananger etc.. i had a 73 grand torino back in 73, from day one i had a loud clunk in the drive line... back then you only had 1 yr. warranty on a new car.... brought it to the dealer about 15 times.. no fix....well after warranty i brought it to another dealer as the selling dealer was out of business.. this dealer found the problem, two bushings on the back axles, cost about $175 to get it fixed... that was alot of money back in

1973.... my house note was lower than that.... i complained to ford and they sent me a check for 75 % of the cost.....
Reply to
jim

I would look on the internet and see if you can find any technical service bulletins (TSBs) about transmission problems.

Whether or not there are any TSBs on this, I would calmly talk to the service manager at the Ford dealership. Dealers have an allowance for fixing things to keep the goodwill of the costumers. Now, with the new year, the dealer has most of the allowance. So the dealer might pay for all or at least most of it. Or sometimes, they will pay for the parts (i.e., new transmission) and you have to pay for the labor.

If you don't get any help from the dealer, I would escalate it to the factory service representive, and then to Bill Ford, himself, if necessary.

You asked that we email you the response! No way. This way, everyone may benefit from my opinion (or think I am jerk -- whatever).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff