Windstar Transmission Question.

I have a 1995 Ford Windstar 3.6 or is it .8 The transmission last week started to shift hard and jerk when it went from 1st to 2nd gear. 2nd to 3th shifts fine and overdrive is OK. The fluid level is
OK and the transmission seems fine other than that one problem. The Windstar has 170,000 miles with no major problems. They did the 100,000 head gasket thing under warranty several years ago. Other than that I've had no problems with the Windstar. Any idea why it's shifting hard and jerking from 1st to 2nd? Thanks for you help. Gene
I've got the same problem and have lived with it for years - it does get better over time. (its a 3.8 by the way)
The problem is in the valve body assembly (or so I've been told by the dealer) and its very expensive to replace, which is why I still have the problem...
Personally, I believe there is a speed sensor problem associated with it that Ford does not want to admit. I've tried additives with little to no affect, but strangely enough, the problem is not as apparent as it was (no more clunking into 3rd) but I think that's because slippage is masking the problem.
Good luck and let me know what you find out

from
level is

100,000
had no

For my '95, they replaced an aluminum "actuator" piston with a harder (steel?) one and that fixed it. (Extended warranty back in '97)

went