wipers died on 1999 windstar

My wife's 1999 Ford Windstar had been having problems with the wipers on intermittent for the last month (would not home, etc.) She took it to the repair shop we always use -- they ran diagnostics, and said there
was a problem with the control module and the antilock brakes module -- recommended that she get another car due to the cost involved.
The wipers worked OK on full on. Today they failed completely on full on. Sometimes you can turn them on and they will go back and forth a few times before quitting. We were out looking for a replacement vehicle today.
Anyone have any other thoughts on this? I could probably rewire the wipers to a 3-way manual switch. if I had the wiring diagram.
Are there any other possible solutions?
Jim
Just to set the record straight, I took the van to a Ford dealership. They did their own diagnostics, and determined the wiper motor had burnt out. Replaced the motor, and all is well. (They also credited me with a core charge of $30.00, so there must be money in rebuilding those -- must be a common item of failure). Going back to the garage I usually go to on Monday to get the money back for the incorrect diagnostics.
Jim