Wipers never go off

I just bought a used 1990 Ford F150 pickup truck. It's a 4WD with manual trans and 302 engine. The problem is that I flipped on the wipers to test them, and now they never shut off. When I turn the knob all the way to the left the wipers only work once every minute or so, but they never entirely shut off. This is getting annoying. I thought I could temporarily remove a fuse but there is no fuse labelled wipers. Unless there is something I am missing, I will have to assume the switch is bad. I does not turn any further to the left, pushing it turns the windshield washer on, and pulling the knob removed the knob itself. Is there something I am missing?

If the switch is bad, I dont intend to replace it. The wipers work and variable speed works fine. Besides I see no way to even get under the dash without ripping out the whole fuse block and whatever else. Too much work...... Probably too costly for the part too..... My idea is to find the feed wire, (on autozone repair for this model it shows a black wire with lt.green strips going to the ignition.)

Anyone know where I might find this wire without ripping the whole truck apart? I'll just install a separate switch to kill the power tot the wipers entirely when I dont want them on.

Thanks

Alvin

Reply to
alvinamorey

Every fuse I have seen is labeled with a number followed by a capital 'A,' such as 10 A or 20 A. I haven't seen one labeled with "wipers" either.

You didn't say what the owner's manual says. That may tell you what to do.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You're not going to believe this. I went out to look for the wire and fuse again. I discovered by accident that the wiper switch has it's OFF position in the MIDDLE. Damn thats Weird !!!!! From the middle to the right is FAST wiping. From the middle to the LEFT is intermittant wiping. I have never seen anything like this..... If this is one of Ford's better ideas, they really need to go back to the drawing board. However, I found the solution as odd as it is.

I dont have a manual, but wish I did. I just bought this used truck a couple days ago. It needs a few repairs, but runs well otherwise. Yet, it's one of the hardest vehicles I have ever had to learn to drive. That wiper switch is just plain unbelievable....

Thanks

Alvin

Reply to
alvinamorey

I think it's different. But not weird. Turn one way for regular wipers, the other way for the intermittent. Makes sense to me.

I guess they did.

A lot of things have changed over the last 20 years since the truck was designed. I remember driving a 1970 Chevy C10 pickup truck. Would you believe the high-beam switch was on the floor?

And my 1974 Peugeot 504 had the turn signal switch on the right side of the steering wheel. And there was no lock so that you couldn't accidentally go into reverse on the transmission.

And, in both of these vehicles, the check engine light never worked properly.

The technology and design standards have changed. You definitely need to track down a copy of the owner's manual. It will be worth it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

designed. I remember driving a 1970 Chevy C10 pickup

GM made quite a lot of vehicles in the late '60s & early '70s with foot operated floor mounted high beam toggles. Main problem is dirt always found it's way inside the switch & jammed it.

Reply to
Shawn