Wipers wipe 5 degrees

New today on 1994 Taurus (3.8 litres): windshield wipers traverse only a few degrees, i.e. remain within 2 inches of the bottom of the window. Any bright ideas?
-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

The linkage may have broken, or it may have popped off the motor, and is now just resting on top of the pin that's supposed to actuate it. Open hood, remove plastic cover on firewall, remove drivers' side half of cowl vent panel, check linkage. The linkage is held onto the motor's drive pin by a special kind of springy clip. If the center part of that clip breaks, the clip will just fall off, and the linkage will pop off very easily while the wipers are in use.
I couldn't find an exact replacement for that clip, so I just made something out of sheet steel (cut a slot in it with tin-snips).