Would rather have a Ford...but

Having owned or driven (which includes parent's cars) the following over the years: 59 Ford truck, 62 Fairlane, 66 Ranch Wagon, 66 Falcon, 70 Mercury
Montego, 70 Maverick, 78 Fiesta, 88 Festiva and last but not least a 93 Festiva and watching, hoping and waiting for another car similar to my last 3 from them...I've come to the conclusion it's not going to happen. Not that they couldn't "do" it...they do have the Ford Ka and Fiesta in England (Fiesta is the same as the Focus here, only better looking). That said I've resigned myself to buying a foreign car since the best MPG car Ford has is the Focus..but not good enough compared to the Festiva I have or the 2 cars from Toyota under consideration...but I'd rather have a Ford. That's one bad thing about The Internet...I can "see" cars elsewhere we don't have here.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Probably due to federal law. Cars are designed by the US Government now, not by auto manufacturers.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So you are cashing in a lifetime of success for a few MPGs? I noticed somebody was on the ball there enough to bypass the Pinto.
Al Bundy wrote:

The Maverick was better looking than the Pinto...although I kinda liked the port hole station wagon version (sporty thing in the late 70's). It's more about survival though; I don't think the Focus is built as well or is as hardy as the Festiva I've had for 10 years and it's the smallest Ford in the US right now.

Umm, no! Fiesta or Festiva are not same as Focus.. Focus is a larger car that can be had with more powerful engines. Eventhough earlier Foci had some problems, 2001 and onwards are rock solid.. Nice cars.. I have a '01 wagon with 1.6 liter engine and could not be happier when driving it. Zero problems so far!
ahmet
Turkey
bumblebee wrote:

Yep, there are even conversion kits to put a small block in a Focus. Now that's pretty cool. I actually saw one with a 351W and it was pretty damn slick. Tight as all get-out though. I bet it moves pretty good and gets upwards of 25 MPG. Pretty slick I think. Personally if I was after mileage I'd rather have a little 6 banger Falcon and get 30 MPG. New cars aren't my cup of tea.
Cory

bumblebee wrote:

I was basing the current English Ford Fiesta comparison with the US Focus; they have the same basic body and if I remember right, the same choices in engines.

Engine choices are different. The US Focus has a 2.0L gasoline engine; the UK Fiesta's petrol engines are smaller, like 1.6L. Plus the UK Fords have diesel engine options. Also, it seems doubtful that a new design car in the UK would use the old Focus platform that the US Focus uses.
Timothy J. Lee

The 2006 UK Focas is on a Mazda platform and referred to as the MkII. The NA 2006 Focus is IIRC the European MkI and is almost identical to the NA model with many if not all parts interchaneable. the European Focus is available with a diesel engins which some NA dealers are clamouring to get their hands on. I saw a video clip of a UK Focus that was powered with a Volvo 2.5L engine but I do not know whether it is or will become a production model. It is a dynamite performer. I hope that we see it in NA soon.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27909-2084920,00.html