XF Ford

Hope someone can help me out here.
When car gets up to running temperature and is then parked for 10..15 minutes. On restarting about 100m up the road the car surges, loses power
and may stall. Then it a bugger to restart. I assume this is a related problem. Some days the car will idle rough, I accept that in cold weather but there are times (regardless of temp) when as it idles it gets rougher and rougher until....stall. I'm thinking either the fuel pump or carbie or both ...but I don't understand why the problem/s are sporadic.
Tanking you in advance for any clues Rossco