XReg mondeo, V Bad Idle

Hi, and help!
I have an x-reg mondeo, 16v zetec. The car idles very erratically when the engine has reached temperature, and the rev counter goes mad, until
the engine backfires and dies and this is getting worse.
I have new plugs, leads, oil, clutch, fuel filter and coil (there's no t-piece on this model). I've taken the Idle Speed Control Valve off and given it a good clean, and put 12v across is and it clicks so assume it is working? The engine light does not come on either.
The MAF sensor and new coil have been checked and they seem to be working fine, and can't find any vacuum leaks.

turns over but doesn't catch easily.
Any suggestions gratefully received!
Kevin