ZX2 automatic transmission fluid change

There is a small oil pan (with no drain hole) and a single bolt on the cast aluminium part. This is the ZTEC engine (99 ZX2 Escort). Can someone tell me what Ford's procedure is, or direct me to where I could research this myself (my Google search came up empty).

TIA NetMax

Reply to
NetMax

Thomas Moats

Think about it, how many transmission pan gaskets do you know of that you do not have to drop the pan to do a fluid service because of lack of drain plug?

Was not an opinion, but an answer to your question.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Daughter's car (not mine), she only works part-time summers (money is thin), so I've been teaching her a bit of auto-mechanics so she can do some of her own servicing, or at least recognize when something needs to be done. I was trying to save her a few bucks by doing the tranny oil change myself. It's no big deal, just thought I'd ask the ng first.

Reply to
NetMax

There's a drain plug on the side but you're more likely going to have to drop the pan anyway (and if it's like the sedan, you'll either have to loosen the crossmember under it or raise the engine/trans as the pan won't come out otherwise). Even my mechanic said it was a PITA when he changed the fluid on mine.

Reply to
Stephan Mynarkiewicz

You're right. It's a '99' and I usually don't pick up a service manual until the car is a bit older, and I start needing to do stuff. It's always a good investment though.

Reply to
NetMax

Thanks for the heads-up!

Reply to