'00 ZX3 A/C FAN only works only on 1,2, and 3. No A/C on #1

I have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3.
My A/C works only when on settings #2 and #3...
The fan will blow air only when on settings #1, #2, and #3...
#4 has the same effect as turning the knob to #0...
Any ideas?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Fan resistor pack or fan switch is shot.

From my past experience more likely fan resistor pack
biggirlsblouse wrote:

But it works on positions 1,2 & 3 that use the resistor pack, but doesn't work on position 4 which is wired direct.
Much more likely to be either the switch, or a wiring/connector fault surely?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

The common resistor pack failure results in the blower fan NOT working on positions 1 2 and 3 and ONLY working on position 4.
I doubt if the fault being described is a resistor pack failure - or more usually a thermal fuse in the resistor pack module. Circuit showing arrangement of module and switch can be found at http://www.amac.f2s.com/Focus1 /
It is not unknown for the switch to mechanically fail. To remove the switch you first have to remove the radio and in the bottom edge of the hole left by the radio you will find the screws hold the fascia in place. The bottom of the fascia should just clip on/off and all the electrical controls will be on a connector.
Be aware that if you remove the power to the radio you will/may need a security code to make it work again. If you don't have the code it can be obtain from crack sites or ebay if you know the serial number of the radio. The serial number is usually found on a label stuck to the top of the radio :)
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com