02 TDCI

I've done the sums today, and I'm getting almost exactly 50 MPG from my Focus, that's mostly Motorway driving with air con on Not bad really, what do the petrol ones do?

Reply to
srp

My 1.8 does 33 locally, 38 Motorway :-(

I get 1-2 mpg less when using the aircon.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

cheers, that's not bad at all for a petrol car, is that booting it or steady as she goes ?

Reply to
srp

Well, I'm an old boy ;-)

However, front tyres only last me around 10,000 miles so you judge!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My 03 TDCi gets 40 in winter and 38 in summer. It might do 50 if I threw it out of a helicopter.

Reply to
David Millen

In alt.autos.ford.focus snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk:

Sounds good, 50 mpg == 4.7 l/100km.

Never got better then 8.1 l/100km (29 mpg) with a 2l petrol.

Usually about 9 l/100km (26 mpg), mostly highway with some parts without speed limits, where the Focus starts guzzling fuel pretty fast. Overall not that bad, though I suspect 7.5 l/100km (31 mpg) should be possible with a little care.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

50 mpg (US) = 4.7 l/100km 50 mpg (UK) = 5.6 l/100km = 41.6 mpg (US)

Your l/100km figures are all correct for US gallons, but I suspect snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk is using UK gallons == 1.2 US gallons.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Seems reasonable, used 'gonvert' a nifty tool able to convert virtually thousands of units.

It's generally a pita with all those units, and the difference between US and UK gallons make it even worse.

There are SI standard units and their derived units. But sadly not used everywhere, which doesn't matter much if you are in the same region. Online in some international ng like this one, it's an ever occurring annoyance.

In case of fuel usage it's even more irritating, as you calculate how many miles you can do with one US/UK gallon, but we (people in central Europe) are used to numbers telling how many liters a car needs to go 100 km.

The tool I used (gonvert) knows from a short view at least 3 different mile units (Roman/Nautical/statute).

But there is just one "Meter" and one "Liter" unit, since Liter is a derived unit from meter.

Just a block of 0.1m x 0.1m x 0.1m of whatever fluid.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

You are preaching to the converted, I'm afraid. I just wanted to point out the significant 20% difference between US and UK gallons.

Reply to
Mark Olson

I bought an X Reg 1.8i Zetec 5dr Focus (in bright red) in May this year (2006), it's just turned past 50k Miles this week. I'm 24, wanted a better handling car than my R Reg Fiesta 1.25 Zetec that I was ringing the nuts off everyday! That Fiesta was a good car really, but I was driving it too hard. I bought the Focus because it had Air Con, Alloys and much more engine power. It doesn't have ABS, but the breaking of the front discs is quite amazing. I've not skidded under heavy breaking yet at all. And the car is fully controllable under breaking, impressive stuff.

Anyway, Focus MPG: I got 36MPG (UK Gallons) when I did a long trip to the Silverstone F1GP this year. I went on A roads mostly from North Wales to Silverstone. Avoiding B'Ham. Was a great trip. Such a Hot weekend.

My daily commute to Chester is 34 Miles and I get on average 33 MPG.

In the heat this last few weeks I've been getting down to 31MPG with Air Con on most of the time.

I've found the MPG calculation does depend on the petrol filling station's pump ability to tell u that the car is full of petrol tho. Some of the pumps click all the time. It's hard to fill the car to the same level all the time.

I haven't managed to get a better MPG out of the car yet. Or go any worse than 31MPG.

I drive on a mountain road and a very quick and windy A road. Then a brief stretch on the A55 to work each day. The Corwen to Chester road is a real driving road. Great corners. I have to overtake about 6 cars each morning and a few less per evening home. I hate going less than proper road speed. The 1.8 Zetec is quick.... if you can keep the revs around the 4k Mark.

It's a shame 3rd doesn't pick up from sub 30MPH very well. Need a blast in 2nd to get really quick passes. Gets to 55MPH in 2nd in very short time before hitting the limiter. Quick change to 3rd at 5500 Revs gets u blasting away from 55 - 90 peak in no time. Usually, the pass has been made and finished and u're off the gas again. (Never needed to use the full range of 3rd to make a pass, but I've tested it's high end just so I know what the car will do).

I use a Road Angel Plus to monitor my speed. The Focus is always showing 4MPH down on MPH.

I'll probably never get better MPG out of it. I can't stand causing a Q behind me (well my mirrors are empty most of the time!!). It's a lovely handling car, I take real good care of it, wax it, wash it, looks really nice indeed. Wish it had even more power for even safer overtaking. But no insurance company is going to listen to me if I tell them I want more power to overtake safer.

I don't go over speed limits. That road is limited by the sheer number of off camber corners. I can take them all at 55/60 and I think I'd be pretty stupid to try them any faster. It's a dangerous road. The Fiesta used to wobble at the back end on some of them! The Focus has no such problems.

I'd love to believe the 1.8 or 2.0 Diesel Focus' are fast. But I just can't believe a Diesel could be better at picking up the pace than a petrol engine. Maybe I'll test drive one in a few years time when I'm thinking about getting a newer car.

Meanwhile, the Focus 1.8 Zetec puts a great big smile on my face everytime I go out in it.

If you go on flatter roads, say the A5 from Chirk to Corwen, at midnight.... 60MPH all the way. Touch the breaks only for the 30MPH villages on the way. The Focus is so smooth through all the corners. Gear shift down to 3rd for a few of them, no breaks, blasting out of the bends. At night when there's no traffic that's a fun road. In the day... I just prefer going over the mountains to avoid the traffic.

Are the new Focus petrol engines more efficient. Looking in What Car Buyers Guide it says 40MPH for a Focus 1.8 2006 model. I don't believe it. The Year 2000 Focus brochure for my car says 37MPH combined.

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
Mr BAM

'01 Focus wagon 1.6 liter with auto tranny 53K kms on the clock

with 2 adults and one small kid plus fully loaded cargo area

700 kms highway driving (%50 of that in relatively hilly area)

speed 110 kmh at max

very little air con usage

my car consumed 6.5 liters / 100 kms.

I am happy!

ak

Reply to
bumblebee

The 1.8 Diesel prolly isn't as fast... The pickup in 3rd gear is considerable though...

Apparently... :P

paul

Reply to
paul.groves

Not bad. My 1.8 TDCi's doing 47mpg (UK gallons) and that's pretty much just my commute which is ~22 miles - 5 miles stop/start in town, and the rest on main roads (but between 40-55mph - damn lorries and tractors)

Reply to
Stu