04' Focus Loud Turn Signal Ticker

Who in a clear mind would have designed this stupidity? I feel like driving a city bus. Anyone did anything to make it quieter? Do you know where the ticker is? I'll rip it out.

Reply to
heater

All foci are like that, the inside joke is that it's to warn pedestrians.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike S.

mines not! 2000 uk ghia 2.0!

Reply to
j*

pedestrians.

Reply to
Chris H

I had a 2001 Focus and got two 2003 models and the ticker sounds identical on all of them - not that loud at all.

MC. uk.

------

Reply to
Mark C.

Mine neether(US)/neither(UK)!!!! UK 2000 1.8 Zetec..............

Reply to
Justin Case

It's a safety device, designed to reduce the number of times people are driving along with the signal going when it shouldn't be on. Or when the signal cancels part way through a manoeuvre.

You have a choice to ignore it or worry about it.

Over the decades I've done the opposite a number of times. I've taken out the wimpy little ticker and put in a real indicator that you can hear even over loud traffic noises. But the Focus one is just fine.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Buses are much quieter. The fix: twist radio volume clockwise, then drive down the road with the blinker on, oblivious, but rockin'

It's a piezoelectric device, located on the stalk/column (info gleaned from this newsgroup). Put a piece of duct tape over it and the volume goes down a bit.

Reply to
Rapid Rick

Ford increased the loudness of the turn signal ticker in the 2001 model year (or was it 2002?) because apparently the previous one was "too quiet". I find the one in my 2000 Focus just fine, so I'm not sure who complained...

Yep. It is on the turn signal stalk itself. Because the Focus doesn't have a turn signal relay, which is what normally makes the noise, there is a small piezo-electric device on the stalk. If you take the stalk out you will see it easily. Just put a small piece of tape over the device and the sound should be nicely muffled.

The web page that I wrote on installing the variable-speed wiper stalk should be useful in showing how to remove the turn signal stalk:

Enjoy! Jon

Reply to
Jon Sturgeon

Interesting. I just got my 04' ZX3 last week and the owner's manual shows a picture of the variable wiper switch, but I definitely don't have it.

SS

Reply to
me

Well I don't think the ZX3 ever came with it, although if it did it wouldn't surprise me if Ford decontented it to cut costs. Or maybe it is part of some extra option you didn't get?

Either way you can add it yourself for about $35 and 15 minutes of your time.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Sturgeon

When I turn on my turning signal, it not only makes ticker noises, but the radio makes loud swooshing noises to match the ticker.

If you can start it up If you can start it up it never runs.......

Reply to
Nerdlite