1.8 gear box

Hi All, I have a UK Focus 1.8 LX T Reg, Jan 1999 (Zetec engine). A few days ago I started hearing some bangs when leaving junctions etc. Eventually on Friday morning I heard the bang again and then
couldn't change gear anymore. Stopped the engine, it started again fine but was making noice.
As I couldn't put the first gear on, got the car recovered to the nearest garage. They diagnosed the problem to be a broken gear box disk and quoted about £600 to get the gear box exchanged for a re-conditioned one and a cluch replaced.
Does it sound reasonable? Does it often happen in Focuses? What might have been the reason?
Would be grateful for any insight.
Regards, Marcin
Add pictures here
✖

The iB5 box isnt the strongest about, though they usually dont give trouble unless abused. My Reverse gear makes a click click click noise but hasnt got any worse in 55k miles, and I hope it doesnt either!
£600 is a reasonable Ford charge for the work you quote- its quite abit of work to make room and get the box out. (front subframe dropped etc, and the gear change linkage is a sod)
Tim..
Add pictures here
✖