2.0 TDCi engine/power steering problems.

This evening when I left work, I started the engine and started to drive out of the parking slot. As I tried to turn the wheel, it was apparent that I had no power steering. When I looked down at the status panel,
there was a "power steering failure" message.
I stopped the engine and looked under the bonnet. The 2.0 TDCi doesn't have a power steering fluid reservoir so I couldn't check fluid levels. There was no signs of leaks. To cut a long story short, I restarted the engine and it was fine. The steering was normal and the status message had gone.
Anyone have any ideas what's going on here? It seems like something electrical.
I don't know if its related but I've had problems before with the engine starting and not responding in any way to throttle inputs. Stopping and restarting usually remedies this. Ford have changed the EGR valve a few months ago but it has done it again a few times since. Ford say there are no fault codes and I would have to leave the car with them for a few weeks and hope that the fault occurs when they have it.
TIA,
--
Paul Giverin

The two faults I would say are un-related?
Which type of PAS is used on the 2.0 ? There are so many variables I can't remember!
Tim.

cause to go poking under the bonnet yet.
--
Paul Giverin

Believe it or not the 2.0tdci does have a power steering fluid reservoir but you will have difficulty under that busy bonnet locating it. If you get a torch and look round the back of the nearside front headlamp assembly you will see the reservoir there. How they expect you to check the levels there is anyones guess. On the 2.0tdci the characteristics I believe are stored in the key...the logic being that different drivers like different steering ..some like it soft and some like it responsive, so in the setup menu you can set the steering "stiffness" dunno though about it seeming as if its all gone....

It is a known problem on the 2L TDCI Cmax. Water gets into a connector in the EHPAS system and it shuts down. Result - it is like driving a tank. Got mine fixed under warranty. Maybe your focus has the same problem?
Bob

boot release switch replaced...... due to water ingress.
--
Paul Giverin

writes

Boot switch is a CMax favourite too!
Good Luck
Bob
Paul Giverin menulis:

Hi.... I also face same problem with you, and I see that Bob give good solution, and how was the result ? if it works then I will do the same things. would you please also inform me where is the switch placed ? Thanks in advance..
rachman snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

I took the car to the dealer as its still under warranty. They couldn't find anything wrong.
It seems like if they don't have a fault code displayed or their diagnostic computer doesn't come up with anything, they are stumped. They are not prepared to troubleshoot independently of their diagnostic gear.
I mentioned the water ingress problem that Bob mentioned and very, very grudgingly they checked it out but found nothing.
It hasn't happened again but if it does I'm going to insist they start replacing bits, even though their diagnostics can't find fault.
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:- www.britjet.co.uk