2000 Focus

I have a roaring/grinding noise coming from the front end of my Focus. It is at all speeds, in gear or out of gear and is getting worse and worse. Could
it be the CV joints going out? How can I test to see which CV joint may be going bad? Any help?
writes

--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:- www.britjet.co.uk
Does it go away if you swerve back and forth? Then to one direction? If so it more than likely is a wheel bearing.

Michael Grey wrote:

Failures of CV joints I've been associated with had sounds more similar to a "tick-tick-tick" as the dry section went around. And, once I had one that would feel like a gear missing a tooth, when climbing a hill. Bearing failures sound a lot like roaring tires that are badly cupped.
IMHO & YMMV, etc.
Ron

Ok, the roar stays constant at 20MPH or higher, turning sharply left or right. I do not have any clicking when turning the wheel like my Chevy work truck. So it sounds like it is the wheel bearing that needs to be changed out. The Chilton book shows how to change them out. It doesn't look too bad. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help too..
Ronnie wrote:

I've had a lot more roaring from tires than bearings, so be sure you eliminate them first. Check for cupping or other unusual wear. Sometimes, they are just plain noisy. I had two different sets of Nitto tires on one of my other cars, and I finally had to get rid of them due to the noise.
Ron

Thanks Ron for the advise. The roar was on the old tires just like the new tires. I think it is the wheel bearings after all. I've replaced wheel barings in my Dodge truck and it was very easy since I could get to them in front of the rotor. I see these bearings are going to be a little different...