2000 focus se stalling out

Has any one out there experienced the focus working perfectly fine and then all of a sudden sputter into a stall? This is happening with mine, first time about a year ago about 100 kms into a 250 km trip on the highway. I figured bad gas was to blame, so discontinued shell gasoline and started using only premium petro canada. No problem for almost a year, then again about a month ago...ran some fuel injector cleaner through it, then fine again. Now happening again so I'm thinking its a bigger problem. Is this sometghing as obvious as a fuel filter? Anyone's advice is appreciated.

Reply to
derekpigeon1 via CarKB.com

You don't mention engine light. The two most common items are the fuel pump and the DPFE. I tell people with a rough-running Focus with an engine light on to have the dealer replace the DPFE without doing a diagnosis check. Two thirds of the time or so, it's the DPFE and it's cheaper than their check.

Fuel pump failures are notorius on that car. Mine was replaced under extended warranty at 100,000 miles, no cost to me. The fuel pump will usually show up as stalling on a right turn, such as a freeway ramp.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

Besides the fuel pump, which is now covered by Ford up to 100,000 miles, check the car battery. When the car stalls, can you restart it right away ? If yes, it may not be the fuel pump.

I fixed a stalling problem few months ago just be replacing the old battery - a cell in the battery had died in a way that there was enough amps to crank the starter, but low voltage, and the computer was getting confused and reset itself intermittently. Happened three times - two times on the highway and once on a parking lot.

-stanjo

Reply to
Stanjo

The extended warranty is for ten years, no mileage limit.

See

Or google

That's wild. I would never have looked at the battery.

Reply to
Tony Wesley