2000 Focus will not start

I have a 2000 Ford Focus. The car was used today. About 30 min. after it was parked I went to start the car. All the dash lights, headlights, radio, etc were
coming on but the car would not start. There was no clicking noise to be heard. The battery seems fine, all the electrical is coming on, and the battery indicator light is green. Approximately an hour later I went out and tried again, and the car started without any problems. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

was parked I went to start the car. All the dash lights, headlights, radio, etc were coming on but the car would not start. There was no clicking noise to be heard. The battery seems fine, all the electrical is coming on, and the battery indicator light is green. Approximately an hour later I went out and tried again, and the car started without any problems. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?
If there was no click at all, I'd suspect that the ignition switch under the steering column is getting dirty or worn. This isn't a problem with the Focus or Fords in general, but can happen on any car with age. If it was mine, I'd remove the cover and spray the switch out with WD40 (after disconnecting the battery).
nose wrote

parked I went to start the car. All the dash lights, headlights, radio, etc were coming on but the car would not start. There was no clicking noise to be heard. The battery seems fine, all the electrical is coming on, and the battery indicator light is green. Approximately an hour later I went out and tried again, and the car started without any problems. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?
I'll be very interested in any replies you may get. I have a 2001 UK Ford Focus Automatic. Twice now it would not start, the latest being this afternoon. All the lights came on, horn worked, etc. etc. But I got this unusual buzzing noise for about a second immediately after turning the ignition key to the "run" position. Also got a click as though the starter solenoid was working but that was all. This went on for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden the engine started and it ran normally afterwards.
--
MCC
18-Jan-04 20:43:41 GMT

It sounds like it could be immobiliser related.
Twice in four years my Focus failed to start in the manner you describe. Both occasions I was parked outside the same store. I finally realised that the store's anti-theft security scanners used the same "RFID" technology as the immobiliser chip in the car key. As I left the store, the security scanner was interrogating my key.
--
Paul Giverin
Paul Giverin wrote

Interesting thought, Paul. On both occasions when my car wouldn't start it was a Sunday, and the car was parked on the drive outside our house. I wonder if someone else's key could have interfered with my immobiliser?
--
MCC
18-Jan-04 21:16:03 GMT

I agree` that it sounds like the ignition immobiliser which needs to recognise the coded key. If you attempt to start the car and the key is not recognised you are locked out for a period of approximately 20 seconds before you can attempt to start it again. Another metal key on the same key-ring could shield your ignition key from the electronics that detects the code.
--
Alan

To see if the key is being read properly, insert the key and turn it to run (but do not start the car). The red blinking light on the dash should go solid red, then go out if the key was read ok.
Alex
Do you have a Mobil Speedpass or similar gadget on the key ring? According to my dealer these can interfere with properly reading the key. Next time it happens, try taking the key off the keyring and starting the car that way.