2000 Ford Focus Air Conditioner Low Side Connection

My daughters Focus appears to be low on freon. Where is the low side A/C connector? I found the high side by the radiator but the only valve I can find on the low side is a small plastic device that looks like a new way
to disable the "shade tree" mechanic from doing it yourself...
It's in the right fender, you have to get under the car and reach up on top of the accumulator (aluminum can).