2000 Ford focus & intermittent speedometer

I've purchased a 2000 Ford Focus. Sometimes while driving the Speedometer goes out on me. The arm just falls down and the mileage meter just stops keeping track. Then out of nowhere (and a few miles later) it will kick back on. Has anybody ever heard of this problem? My service center is having a hard time diagnosing this problem since it never recreates itself for them.

Reply to
joes1girl

Sounds like an intermittant electrical fault from the speed sensor to the computer (less likely between the computer and the speedometer). Have they cleaned the contacts on the sensor and checked the wires for damage?

Reply to
Dave Gower

Very well known and documented fault with the Focus. It's a failure of the VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor. You will find loads of information if you Google this ng.

Bottom line, in the UK the sensor costs about £25 and is a bit fiddly to change. A dealer charges around £100 for the privilege. I'm guessing you might be the wrong side of the pond for this to help much though.....

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My boss' son is Ford Certified. Right off the bat he stated that the instrument cluster needs to be replaced. My boss turned around and suggesed as you did to clean the contacts or see if it was even connected to the "cluster" correctly. I suggested both of these to my service center (who I will be seeing this upcoming Monday) and he was none to pleased (that I did research). I won't even go into that. Thanks for your help. I'll bring your recommendations with me.

Beth

Reply to
joes1girl

Yup, I'm on the other side of the pond. I will google the VSS. Thank you so much for your response. And I'm sure my mechanic will thank you as well. (sarcasm) LOL.

Beth

Reply to
joes1girl