2000 Ford Focus SE trunk and rear seat help

The problem is that the trunk lock somehow got stuck and now I need to get in there to try and fix it, and the only other way to get in the trunk is the folding rear seat, but the only way to fold this down is with the latch that is in the trunk. Any body know if there another way to get the seat to fold down or had any experience with the trunk on their focus not opening. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
rigama61

this article may help

qwerty

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 19:38:40 GMT, "qwerty" wrote Re Re: 2000 Ford Focus SE trunk and rear seat help:

Hey, that's a very useful article. Thanks.

After reading it I installed a short piece of wire through an existing hole in one of the child safety seat anchor point cups to the seat-back latch. Now I can open the seat back from inside the car at the rear window shelf.

Reply to
Vic Dura

I was going to take it to a locksmith on Monday, now I can just go get the part. I got it to open. Thanks qwerty.

Reply to
rigama61

your welcome, apparently it is a common problem

Reply to
qwerty

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 02:22:36 GMT, "qwerty" wrote Re Re: 2000 Ford Focus SE trunk and rear seat help:

And IMO a design deficiency. What were they thinking?

Reply to
Vic Dura

This is the second time the trunk latch has locked up on me. I took it to the dealer last year and charged me $80+ to remove the seat and open the trunk (*and that's not even fixing the locking mechanism!). I then took it to a local mechanic who was able to somehow get the electrical wiring to work. Well, it's broken again, and I'm locked out of my trunk.

What is a "common auto-opening tool." Can I just use a coat hanger? I actually don't have the car with me, and am trying to guide my Dad through the procedure over the phone (he has the car). Any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Jimmy

Vic Dura wrote:

Reply to
jimtran

Common opening tool, is common for a locksmith, a coat hanger may work but wouldn't count on it, as it's probably not strong enough. My common opening tools are 4-5mm (5/32-3/16 in)thick, they can be bent somewhat to allow reshaping of the tool for certain cars, but don't bend as easily as a coat hanger.

Crude ascii drawing of common opening tool(s)

Two tools, one has a inward hook, the other has a outward hook at the end, and there's a larger and smaller end, the hook is the same size just the right angle bend is a different size. if you bent a hanger into a similar shape with a right angle it may work but you also may not have enough strength in the hanger to do the job.

Reply to
underdog