2000 US ford focus - power steering

Hi there,
I'm in Wisconsin and wanted to get a reality check on a power steering pump replacement. My dealer quoted me approx $450, does that sound
about right?
Funny thing, I just had it to the shop to get the oil changed and the tires rotated, and they dropped that on me, saying that the pump wasn't working, and they were shocked that I wasn't having any problems steering.. I said no, nothing I noticed... and I made an appointment for tomorrow morning, but then drove it home no problems steering... how do I know they're not ripping me off??
It's a 4 door 2000 Focus, about 143,000 miles.
Thanks!
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:59:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
:>Hi there, :> :>I'm in Wisconsin and wanted to get a reality check on a power steering :>pump replacement. My dealer quoted me approx $450, does that sound :>about right? :> :>Funny thing, I just had it to the shop to get the oil changed and the :>tires rotated, and they dropped that on me, saying that the pump :>wasn't working, and they were shocked that I wasn't having any :>problems steering.. I said no, nothing I noticed... and I made an :>appointment for tomorrow morning, but then drove it home no problems :>steering... how do I know they're not ripping me off?? :> :>It's a 4 door 2000 Focus, about 143,000 miles. :> :>Thanks!
I've never experienced a power steering failure on a Focus but on other cars that I've had that issue it was real obvious that something was wrong. If your steering doesn't feel any different than it always has I would think they don't know what they're talking about. If nothing else, get a second opinion before laying out that much money. And get them to tell you exactly what's wrong with it. Don't accept just "it's not working".
BTW, to give them the benefit of the doubt, it is possible they noticed a slow leak that would show up while driving at some point in the future. If so a second opinion with more information would confirm that.
me/2
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:59:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would go to an independent garage and get a second opinion. If your with AAA they have inspection stations that will have a qualified mechanic look at such things.