2001 Focus VSS status

Mechanic could not get it out. I'm of the opinion that it must be a humdinger, because this is the first time ever that he's not been able to do something that he started.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Did he remove the oil filler plug first? That's advised by some, although I didn't find I needed to.

Has he been able to remove the securing pin? That's often the trickiest part of the job.

Once the pin is out, grasping the sensor with a rag and *gently* rocking it from side to side, whilst pulling upwards is the way to do it.

Tapping or hitting it *will* break it! Taking the time to ease it upwards will get it out.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I think the securing pin was the crux.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Best way of removing that is to use a pair of long-nosed pliers to break off the clip that engages with the transmission. Then grip the pin close to the transmission with a pair of side-cutters. Levering against the casting with the side-cutters will then get the pin out bit by bit.

Obviously a new pin is needed to reassemble!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I just got off the phone with the shop, they said the pin was frozen (corroded?) and they would rather not snap anything off that would then have to be taken to a dealer. Let the dealer snap it off...

Reply to
Louis Ohland