2001 Focus Wagon se Liftgate release switch not working

Sometimes if you keep trying, the dash switch the liftgate will release.
Has anyone experience with this problem ? I am pretty sure the problem is
with the release switch on the dash,
as the hatch/liftgate releases every time using the remote control hand unit.
To replace the switch, what is involved ? Does the dashboard have to come apart ? I have a subscription to
Alldata's repair information, but they have no info on this.