2001 ford focus exhaust smell

my daughter called and said the smell of exhaust was coming in thru the heat/cooling vents. i didn't know what to tell her. She is bringing the car over tommorrow but i am not sure what to look for. any idea's?

Just a WAG, if the car is equipped with the cabin air filter and it was recently changed.....it may have been installed incorrectly allowing engine compartment fumes to enter the heating & AC duct work.
--
Steve & Margo
Jr. Underwater Explorers

Refer to my note about a cracked EGR pipe, coming off the exhaust manifold. Since that crack developed, I've noticed exhaust gases entering the passenger compartment.
The source of your problem could be from many things, this gives you just one possible place to begin your search.
Rob