2001 Ford Focus ZTS AC Question?

On My 2001 Focus ZTS if I put the air on it takes long time before it gets cold like after driving 30 min. Is this normal? or needs R134 or is this a
common problem with this cars. vehicle now has 59,500 miles on it any help on this?

No, your air conditioning should work noticeably within a minute - get it checked out.