2001US sedan trailer wiring ?

I am going to put a trailer hitch onto my 2001 SE street edition. The lights have three wires running to them. How do I wire it in? Does anyone have a schematic of the tail lights? Anyone with experience
pulling trailers with thier focus? I will be making a cross country (CA to NC) trip with a utility trailer with about 1,000 #s on it. Any suggestions?