2002 Focus TDCi 1.8 engine

Hi folks,

Anyone know what engine speed the turbo's supposed to kick in on the

2002 1.8 TDCi engine? Mine doesn't seem to be kicking in til 1800 or 1900rpm, which makes accelerating out of corners a real pain in the backside, and means that I'm forever shifting gear.

If it is kicking in too late, is it something that's fairly "easy" to fix (e.g. a setting in the engine management unit that someone at a Ford dealership could change in 5 minutes)?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Reply to
Stu

the turbo boost is controlled by the ECU and therefore it probably is not just based on RPM but what ever else the computer decides is relevant ( gear selected/ throttle position / day of week .. ?) Mine only seems to kick off between 2K and 3 K, so yours is probably normal. I know what you mean about changing gear all the time, it's a pain isn't it, see my other post today re. overtaking

:)

Si

Reply to
srp

Your car is behaving normally. This is the problem with a fairly hightly tuned turbo diesel without a VGT.

Tturbo is too big to spool up until there is a certain gas flow. Gas flow is directly proportional to engine speed.

Using a smaller turbo would strange the engine at higher revs.

Alot of manurfacturers are using VGT's on their more highly rated TD's...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

hmm I remember reading in the Haynes book that the ECU controls somthing in the turbo is it the wastegate ? Is this different from a Variable Geometry Turbo ?

Reply to
srp

Completely.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

To set the record straight, the tdci Focus DOES have VGT '( Variable Geom. inlet vanes.. ) Unless the HBOL is totaly wrong.

Reply to
srp