2002 Focus: VSS pin removal questions

I have a manual transmission in my 2002 Ford Focus. I've read many of the postings on this newsgroup about how difficult it is to remove the pin.
I purchased a new VSS to install it. I have the factory manual and two
third party manuals: Chilton, Haynes.
The problem is I cannot find any information on what I'm supposed to do with the flat metal clip that goes from the VSS pin to what looks like a hole by where the VSS plugs in.
Question: Does this flat clip actually go into the hole to keep the pin in place?
Question: Do I simply pull the pin out from where the VSS plastic hook meets it and yank the flat metal clip with it? I'm asking, because it looks like the flat metal clip will prevent me from pulling the pin out. And so do I need to first bend the metal clip up and then pull the pin out?
The Ford dealer wants between $100 and $200 in labor to remove this pin.
If this is going to be a massive pain, I would rather just be robbed by the Ford dealer.
You have me worried, I have a 2002 Focus also ,Question what is the VSS? And where is it located... ? thanks SF
VSS = Vehicle Speed Senor
Located on the transaxle (transmission).
VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor
Located on the transaxle (transmission).
Jack wrote:

Hopefully you got a new pin when you got the VSS? If not I would advise getting one before you start as the chances are you will destroy the old pin during removal.
Using a pair of pliers, bend the flat clip out of the way. (It does not go in to the hole; it just presses on the casting.) It will probably detach itself when you do this. Grip the pin with a pair of side-cutters close to the transmission housing and then use the side-cutters to lever the pin out. You will have to keep repositioning the side-cutters along the length of the pin as it gradually moves.
Others have suggested clamping mole grips on the pin, then tapping the mole grips with a hammer. I tried that, but it didn't work for me. YMMV.
Once the pin is removed the VSS is still a bit hard to get out. It has two O-rings on it that make it a tight fit in the housing. DO NOT be tempted to try to knock it upwards with a drift and hammer. This might result in the sensor breaking, leaving half of it in the hole!
In the limited space available wrap a piece of rag around the sensor and rock it GENTLY from side to side and twist it as you pull upwards. Take your time and it will eventually come out.
I agonised for ages before tackling mine, but once I took the plunge I did it in less than 20 minutes.
Post back to let us know how you get on.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Thanks.
Would you happen to have the Ford part number for the VSS pin?
I got a pin, it was the only one in the Ford parts picture for the VSS, but it doesn't match what Chilton indicates it should look like.
It is just a rolled up sheet of metal (a rolled "U" shape), while the Chilton drawing makes it look like something more substantial. The number for the pin I have is W525729*S300. This for VSS part number YS4Z-9E731-AB. I have a manual transmission (Ford Focus SE - 5 speed).
Jack wrote:

It's a roll pin AKA spring pin. They're supposed to look like that. I'd be very cautious when thinking of putting my trust in a Chilton's manual over the Ford parts fiche.
I just Googled "roll pin", and that is what it looks like :) Thanks.
I replaced the VSS, and that was the problem :)