2002 Ford Focus Brake Failed!!!!

Well yet another Ford Focus owner gets screwed by Ford putting substandard parts on their auto's. 40000 km and the brakes require total replacement, because their cracked and worn. Ford told me it was a dealership maintainance issue and had nothing to do with Ford Canada, really I thought Ford Canada made Ford Products, and would stand behind their products, I guess not. Maybe a few people have to die like the Firestone Tires deal, before Ford issues a recall on their brake system.

Reply to
nmacdoc603

I recently had a complete brake job done on my 2000 wagon at about the

50,000 km mark.

I've been dealing with the same brake shop for years, and have come to trust their opinions. They told me the Focus, like many other small cars, comes equipped with thin rotors and drums, and light duty calipers and pads. They speculate this is to keep vehicle weight to a minimum, so it can meet higher fuel economy standards. That sounds plausible, but who knows?

At the suggestion of my mechanics, I went with Wagner rotors and Reybestos pads instead of Ford parts. In each case the new parts appeared much more substantial than the factory parts they were replacing. I haven't noticed any change in performance, and that's a good thing, as short and predictable braking has always been a Focus strength. I'm hoping to, also, benefit from longer brake life.

I could have, by the way, had the job done cheaper at a Ford dealer, as I'm covered by an extended warranty, but, as I said, I have great faith in my long-time brake mechanics, and would rather spend a little more money for the added peace of mind.

Rob

Reply to
Specter

Thanks Rob, We're not alone however check out

Also was told by Ford Canada not having my car repaired at Ford dealer would void my warenty

Cheers

Reply to
nmacdoc603

Who at Ford of Canada told you would void your warranty if you did not have your brakes fixed at a Ford Dealer. If it was one of those dickheads at Ford customer service, which is not really customer service as it is outsourced to a private company.

When I was told by a Ford dealer service rep that I would void my warranty if they did not do ALL servicing and repairs while the car was under Ford warranty, I just said to them "please give me a letter on your dealership letterhead, signed by the dealership principal stating that". Guess what? after a very long period of silence, because the service rep did not know how to respond, he back tracked and said it was only a recommendation. I then voiced my strong objection to the service manager and asked him point blank what they were trying to pull. Needless to say the only real response I got from the service manager was that I must have misunderstood his service clerk. I guess I should have spent the extra money and bought the Honda I was originally going to buy.

You know Canadians are such polite people to the point of being wimpy!! You will stand in line at a Bank and wait to be invited to the teller, will put up with lousy service and rude store clerks. Shop at stores where service is non existent and not complain. Take crap from a car dealer, who sells you a car at your convenience and fixes it at his own. And go back and buy another vehicle from the manufacturer that they had problems with previously..

Also was told by Ford Canada not having my car repaired at Ford dealer would void my warenty

Cheers

Reply to
Info

Good Lord, you're right! Somebody aught to do something about that ... you know, write a letter or something : )

Rob

-------------------

Reply to
Specter

I have a 2000 Focus. I mentioned in a previous post that I just did a brake job on it as it was making some pretty weird noises down there. Anyhow, the front disc pads were just about gone. The inside was close to metal on metal and the outside probably had another couple of thousand miles on them. The back shoes, on the other hand, were in great shape. I changed them because I had already bought the replacement shoes but the replacements were almost the same as the originals. Still, I was disappointed that the fronts were already gone at 34K.

Not too expensive to fix at home. I bought the parts, a 7mm allen wrench (snaps into a 3/8 inch drive extension) and a 1 3/16" 1/2 drive socket. $90 total.

Reply to
jor

Brakes have been only lasting 2 years ever since they got rid of the asbestos in the pads/shoes.

You can get semi-metalic replacements, but they wear out the rotors faster.

So as long as you learn to live with it, by slowing down sooner and not having to push the pedal so hard, it really is not that bad.

The pads/shoes only cost about $25 per set, and you only need 2 sets. The labor is only 1 hour per set, and even if the shop us $50/hour, both the front and rears should all add up to only $150. That is not bad every 2 or 3 years really.

Just don't let them talk you into machining the rotors or drums. They never need it unless they are heat warped, and if they are warped, machining will only make them so thin they will easily warp again.

Reply to
maat333