2002 Ford Focus Overheating

I saw a post on here from 2004 about the same thing but never saw the outcome. I have a friend who's car is overheating until the AC is on. He's changed the thermostat out but it doesn't seem to have
helped. When he pulls up to a stop, the car just dies. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Any ideas would be very appreciated. Thanks!