2002 Ford Focus Trunk Problem

I have seen other messages about this problem, but have not seen a fix besides taking it to the dealer. The trunk in my Focus will not open. I hit either the button on the dash or the remote and the locks
tries to unluck about 5 times but is not successful unless I pull on the trunk during the cycle. I then have to hit the button again for the trunk to latch shut.
Does just the latch need replaced? And if so, where do I find this piece?
Thanks for any help. Troxel
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have the opposite problem. It opens fine with the button on the dash but I sometimes have to slam it shut twice before it latches. I haven't had my 2002 very long but it almost seems like this happens every other time I close the trunk.
Jerry wrote:

I've been googling this and have tracked down a Ford TSB #16436 for the trunk dealing with "High Decklid Closing Effort". Can someone send me the TSB? From other complaints I found it appears the latch is bad but I'd like to see the TSB to see what they said.

Did you ever get this resolved. i have had my trunk fixed once already about 2 or 3 years ago. now it is worse than ever and will not close
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes I did. In one posting I found he said that closing the trunk gently, not slamming, is the key. Ever since I've started closing it gently I haven't had any problems.
I think if you replace the little pneumatic lifts on each side of the trunk lid it will pop open on the first click like it used to. I think they just lose their strength to pop up. I have the same problem with my 2002 focus.