2002 Ford Focus Trunk Problem

I have seen other messages about this problem, but have not seen a fix besides taking it to the dealer. The trunk in my Focus will not open. I hit either the button on the dash or the remote and the locks tries to unluck about 5 times but is not successful unless I pull on the trunk during the cycle. I then have to hit the button again for the trunk to latch shut.

Does just the latch need replaced? And if so, where do I find this piece?

Thanks for any help. Troxel

Reply to
troxelone

I have the opposite problem. It opens fine with the button on the dash but I sometimes have to slam it shut twice before it latches. I haven't had my 2002 very long but it almost seems like this happens every other time I close the trunk.

Reply to
Jerry

I think if you replace the little pneumatic lifts on each side of the trunk lid it will pop open on the first click like it used to. I think they just lose their strength to pop up. I have the same problem with my 2002 focus.

Reply to
qwerty

I've been googling this and have tracked down a Ford TSB #16436 for the trunk dealing with "High Decklid Closing Effort". Can someone send me the TSB? From other complaints I found it appears the latch is bad but I'd like to see the TSB to see what they said.

Reply to
Jerry

thetrunkdealing with "High Decklid Closing Effort". Can someone send me

Did you ever get this resolved. i have had my trunk fixed once already about 2 or 3 years ago. now it is worse than ever and will not close

Reply to
parish.tanner

thetrunkdealing with "High Decklid Closing Effort". Can someone send me

Yes I did. In one posting I found he said that closing the trunk gently, not slamming, is the key. Ever since I've started closing it gently I haven't had any problems.

Reply to
Jerry