2003 focus are gas guzzlers

Page 1 of 3
I have a 2003 ZTW 2.0 zetec automatic and I can't do better than 20mpg I do mostly highway driving in the winter I do a mere 17 mpg
some of you claim 30mpg with manual transmission.
Car and Driver reported 25mpg after a long term roadtest of automatic 2001 SE Wagon
I think these numbers are BS
bottom line is I think people can't calculate MPG properly

I rented an automatic Focus 2.0 SE last year when visiting Canada. I beat the crap out of it in a mixture of mostly back-road driving and some highway and still averaged 7.5 - 8.0 l/100km, which is 29 - 31 USmpg. The calculation wasn't too difficult for someone with a PhD in mechanical engineering, so I have some confidence in my figures :-) Are you sure your handbrake isn't on? Seriously, those figures are way too low and point to an unhealthy car.
actually 7.5 - 8.0 L/100km is 28.39 US/mpg and 30.28 US/mpg

2001
highway
point

Just passed 72,000 miles on my '01ZX3 5-speed. I keep a spreadsheet for mileage calculation by tank and overall. My driving is about half highway and half country roads. Overall mileage is 30.9 mpg.
R**2
(Ron)
what would an automatic do? 20mpg?

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:58:50 -0400, "corra"

On a slightly different theory, was cruise control on at any point.
I watched a top gear once where the presenter drove an audi twin turbo diesel from london to edinburgh and back (approximatly 800 miles) on one tank of fuel. when he was on the motorway he set the cruise control to 60 (i think) and the car averaged 32mpg however if he switched off the cruise control and kept his speed constant manually he was making around 43mpg.
We have noticed this on my fathers 2.2Td saab as well, cruise control is outrageously inneficient it would seem.
Oh yeh he did it by the way, although 40 miles from london the computer told him that he had run out of fuel!
Cruise was rarely on. Not very useful on the highways near the city; too much traffic. And I don't baby the car, I love to push it with "frisky" driving. Fun to toss around when the opportunity arises.
Other things of note, since they have been hashed around here. I'm still on the original brakes, front and rear. The original Firestone tires gave me 61,000 miles. The only problems either not covered under a recall or normal wear and tear were a new clutch (I destroyed the original....) and the thermostat housing cracked. Nice of them to make it out of plastic!
R**2 (Ron)
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:58:50 -0400, "corra"
:>20mpg?
Should be much better than that. Earlier this year I sold an '02 ZX5 automatic to my brother so I could buy an '04 SVT 5 door. During the time I had the ZX5 around 90% of my driving was stop and go around town with around 50% of that with the AC running (I live in the Phoenix, AZ area...grin). For the whole time I had that car my gas mileage averaged out to a little over 26mpg. On trips to Orange, CA and Las Vegas, NV I averaged a little over 30mpg while running in the 80mph range most of the way.
BTW, on my SVT Focus I'm doing slightly better even though it has amost 50% more horsepower. Obviously the 6 speed manual transmission helps. I averaged between 25 and 26mpg during the summer running the AC in stop and go intown driving. I got around 27 to 28mpg this spring running around town before it got hot and have been back up around that the last month or so when I've only had to use the AC a couple of times. I haven't made any long trips with this one yet but on a couple of short (200 mile) trips I've been around 28mpg with the AC and as high as 35mpg without the AC.
me/2
:> :>> Just passed 72,000 miles on my '01ZX3 5-speed. I keep a spreadsheet for :>> mileage calculation by tank and overall. My driving is about half highway :>> and half country roads. Overall mileage is 30.9 mpg. :>> :>> R**2 :>> :>> (Ron)

There is something seriously wrong with either your driving habits or the condition of your vehicle. It's silly to say that you are the only one who can calculate gas mileage.

nothing wrong with my driving......I'm no angel but not a leadfoot either.

I'm pointing out that some people over exaggerate their fuel economy. also you can't compare auto to manual......fuel economy is different

According to such respected authorities as Edmunds, automatic Foci get about 2 mpg less than equivalent manual ones. Look it up.
My 2000 SPI gets close to the EPA ratings in when I convert from Canadian to U.S. measurements, except in winter when of course it drops off a few mpg. I am a fairly conservative driver and keep my vehicles in good shape.
Please...... just because you are suffering from crap fuel consumption, don't accuse others of exaggerating theirs because it is a totally groundless assertion.
--
Paul Giverin

writes

stick to the Jet engines Paul........this stuff is way over your head.

Major asshole, no idea why people even bother.
<ploink>
--
Bezit en wijsheid zijn illusies/
possession and wisdom are illusions

He's not even worth plonking. He's one of these fuckwits with an axe to grind, who shows up, mouths off and then leaves when he realises no one is listening to him any more.
--
Paul Giverin

says...

I ask myself the same question.
writes

Oh dear! Some village is missing its idiot.
--
Paul Giverin

writes

who's exaggerating now! spaceman
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:36:52 -0400, corra wrote:

If Your mileage with automatic transmission is less than 25 then something is wrong!
--
Kjell Harnesk