2003 focus are gas guzzlers

Major asshole, no idea why people even bother.

Reply to
Zweef®

In message , corra writes

Oh dear! Some village is missing its idiot.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

He's not even worth plonking. He's one of these fuckwits with an axe to grind, who shows up, mouths off and then leaves when he realises no one is listening to him any more.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

who's exaggerating now! spaceman

Reply to
corra

I ask myself the same question.

Reply to
corra

:>what would an automatic do? :>20mpg?

Should be much better than that. Earlier this year I sold an '02 ZX5 automatic to my brother so I could buy an '04 SVT 5 door. During the time I had the ZX5 around 90% of my driving was stop and go around town with around 50% of that with the AC running (I live in the Phoenix, AZ area...grin). For the whole time I had that car my gas mileage averaged out to a little over 26mpg. On trips to Orange, CA and Las Vegas, NV I averaged a little over 30mpg while running in the

80mph range most of the way.

BTW, on my SVT Focus I'm doing slightly better even though it has amost 50% more horsepower. Obviously the 6 speed manual transmission helps. I averaged between 25 and 26mpg during the summer running the AC in stop and go intown driving. I got around 27 to 28mpg this spring running around town before it got hot and have been back up around that the last month or so when I've only had to use the AC a couple of times. I haven't made any long trips with this one yet but on a couple of short (200 mile) trips I've been around 28mpg with the AC and as high as 35mpg without the AC.

me/2

:>> R**2 :>>

:>> (Ron)

Reply to
me/2

:>In alt.autos.ford.focus corra : :>> I have a 2003 ZTW 2.0 zetec automatic and I can't do better than 20mpg :>> I do mostly highway driving :>> in the winter I do a mere 17 mpg :>

:>> some of you claim 30mpg with manual transmission. :>> Car and Driver reported 25mpg after a long term roadtest of automatic 2001 :>> SE Wagon :>

:>> I think these numbers are BS :>

:>> bottom line is :>> I think people can't calculate MPG properly :>

:>17-20 mpg (11.7-13.8 l/100 km), for sure this is possible if not :>a little more, on an almost empty highway it just takes about :>half an hour.;) :>

:>My 2.0l manual usually guzzles about 9-9.5 l/100 km (25-26 mpg), :>the mentioned 30 mpg (7.8 l/100km) should be possible with a :>little care, not much more then 80 mph (130 km/h) on highways and :>not much city. But then you could have bought the 1.4l engine in :>the first place...

Not in the US he couldn't. The US station wagons (ZTW or SE) were only available with the 2.0 Zetec engine orginally and IIRC recently the 2.3 Duratec was added to the mix. I think with the US '05 models (not to be confused with the European '05 models) the Duratec is the only choice. Also, an automatic transmission was almost mandatory since the manual transmission was a special order only and most dealers only inventoried the automatic.

BTW, I've got an '01 SE Wagon sitting out in the garage that my Dad bought new in May of '01. He died last year and was unable to drive the car much before then. At last check it only has around 6,000 miles on it. Anyway, that car has always had much better gas mileage figures than quoted by the OP.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

In alt.autos.ford.focus me/2 :

Ah, thx for the info, but my point was hopefully clear?

As written, one can easily burn the mentioned figures in half an hour, but under normal usage there's something wrong, might be only far to low tire air-pressure, who knows.;)

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Not to be pedantic, but 100 km is 62.137 mile, 7.5 L converts to 1.981 USgal, so 7.5L/100km would be 31.366 mpg. I erred on the conservative side...

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

My Daughter has a 1993 2.00 ZTW Automatic. She has 22,000 Kil. on it now. She drives 70% Highway and 30% City.Wow, that makes a 100%. GRIN! Her average mileage since she purchased the car has been 30.4 Imperial MPG (I check every tank for her and average it.) That includes the Canadian winter when we often get -25 c (Minus 13 F) Geoff

Reply to
GP

I have a 2001 Ford Escape with the 2.0 litre Zetec engine and 5 speed stick shift. Although the Escape is heavier and larger than the Focus, I usually get between 21 (mostly city) to 28 (mostly highway per US gallon. This is close to the original numbers posted by the EPA. I also have a 2004 Focus ZX5 with the 2.3 PZEV engine and automatic. That's mostly used on the highway, but that only gets 28 tops so far, but isn't completely broken in yet.

JPH

GP wrote:

Reply to
J Haggerty

transmission

======== Nice! I have a '99 sable with the 3 litre Zetec (200hp) and the best I have ever got was 27 Imperial gallons on the Highway at about 120 Kph. And that's a car! It goes like a bat in hell though. Love it. Geoff

Reply to
GP

The combination of larger engine and automatic cuts fuel economy by 3 mpg (hwy) and 2 mpg (city) according to the EPA. EPA figures are 30 (hwy) and 24 (city) for an automatic 2.3L.

Don

Reply to
Don McC

There is no such engine as a 3 Litre Zetec. There is a Duratec 3 Litre - not even close to the Zetec a totally different engine design. ======== Nice! I have a '99 sable with the 3 litre Zetec (200hp) and the best I have ever got was 27 Imperial gallons on the Highway at about 120 Kph. And that's a car! It goes like a bat in hell though. Love it. Geoff

Reply to
Gino

My 2000 zx3 gets about 19 miles per gallon in the city (L.A.). CAFE states that I should get about 25 miles in the city. The CAFE regulations are out of date. The US government tests milage, as if one is driving at 22 miles per hour in the city and 48 miles on our freeways....no stop and start, but keeping at a steady speed.

Reply to
Walter Blackman

My 2003 ZTW has settled at just under 32 mpg imperial or about

26.4 mpg US. This is over about three m>
Reply to
Way

The most of the gasoline pumps in Canada are "adjusted for temperature" (don't know about the U.S. or Europe) so how is one able to judge fuel economy.

The pump is set to a mean temperature for 15 degrees C. So if the temperature is below 15C you get less volume of gas and above 15 degrees C you get closer to the real volume. The oil companies have used the argument for years that you are buying energy and not volume. Just like natural gas you are buying by energy not volume of gas. Everyone knows it bullshit, its like buying a piece of meat and it is being sold to you by the amount of protein it has. So how can you accurately judge MPG or KPL when the volume of fuel you put in your can is not consistent.

My 2003 ZTW has settled at just under 32 mpg imperial or about

26.4 mpg US. This is over about three m>
Reply to
Gino

Volume changes of petrol with temperature are inconsequential when it comes to calculating economy.

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your customers drift off to free webmail services install your own web gateway!

-- See

----

Reply to
Stephen F.

Not so!

The pump says 20 litres but it only really pumped 19. The pump says 20 litres but it pumped 20.7. How can you accurately work out mpg or kpl.???

Volume changes of petrol with temperature are inconsequential when it comes to calculating economy.

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your customers drift off to free webmail services install your own web gateway!

-- See

----

Reply to
Gino

where did you get 4 wheel disc on 2003 ZTW usa or europe?

no more 4 wheel disc on 2003 ZTW in Canada

Reply to
JJ