2003 focus are gas guzzlers

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 02:17:33 -0400, corra wrote:

Just done 18000 miles in my 2001 Focus 1.6 Zetec Automatic. My petrol consumption has averaged out at 29.7 m.p.g. (UK gallons) And yes I do know how to calculate my petrol consumption.
--
MCC

I know you can calculate your petrol in UK mpg
but did you calculate your petrol consumtpion in US mpg you get 24.5mpg.......
where you fuel economy now?
and one other thing the topic concerns 2003, 2.0 zetec auto wagon..........not 2001, 1.6 zetec
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:48:38 -0400, corra wrote:

Sorry I spoke, I'm sure!
--
MCC

[snip]
But your first post in this thread mentions a 2001!
I have a 2001 wagon, automatic. US. Getting 25 is low, 27-28 is typical, and occasionally I get 30 mpg.

17-20 mpg (11.7-13.8 l/100 km), for sure this is possible if not a little more, on an almost empty highway it just takes about half an hour.;)
My 2.0l manual usually guzzles about 9-9.5 l/100 km (25-26 mpg), the mentioned 30 mpg (7.8 l/100km) should be possible with a little care, not much more then 80 mph (130 km/h) on highways and not much city. But then you could have bought the 1.4l engine in the first place...
--
Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:58:50 +0200, Michael Heiming

Ah, thx for the info, but my point was hopefully clear?

As written, one can easily burn the mentioned figures in half an hour, but under normal usage there's something wrong, might be only far to low tire air-pressure, who knows.;)
--
Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)

That sounds about average for US cars.

No they aren't - it's about slightly below average.

I use a spreadsheet to calc :-)
My 2004 ZX5 (.36 CD compared to .31 CD for the sedan means poorer mileage) and yet I am still getting 33.3 mpg (imperial gal) with about 60% highway mileage, air conditioner usually on or the moonroof open, speed of 120 kph (75 mph) -- yes I am a bit of a lead foot even on some of the shitiest roads imaginable and Canadian winters. I also have about 50 extra lbs of gear in the back on a permanent basis. This works out to roughly 27.7 mpg US so I would say C&D is *** CONSERVATIVE *** in their road test.
If you can't get AT LEAST that on good roads doing 65 mph in the US, you do indeed have a serious problem. Either with your car or your arithmetic.
My other experience with the same engine (all manuals): '98 ZX2        30.9 mpg '00 ZTS        29.4 mpg '03 ZX5        30.7 mpg '04 ZX5        33.3 mpg (more highway miles this year)
I usually use 87 octane but for the first three cars I used a fair bit of 89 octane 5-10% ethanol added which means a LOWER gas mileage; Canadian winters mean 5 minute warm-ups to clean the snow/frost off, -35*C so I've got the seat heaters on and use the 4-season tires on snow.
I have a 2001 Ford Focus , 2.0l Zetec engine, automatic transmission.
I "drive" my car because I find that the Zetec with the Auto transmission is a bit sluggish unless you keep the revs up. I am getting 28-29 miles per imperial gallon around town and I have got as high as 40 mpg on the highway through BC last month.
I did have a problem with lousy gas mileage about 2 years ago, took it into Ford dealer and they found a problem with one of the emissions control devices.. The fuel consumption does go up in the winter ,when it gets cold, but that is understandable. I did find that if you stop fuelling the car when the gas pump first clicks off, as Ford recommends in the handbook, you will be short fuelling the car by about 3 litres of gas. To do a proper gas mileage test I found that I had fuel the car till I could not get any more in the tank and do it over 5 - 6 tanks. That's the way I see it.
I have a 2003 ZTW 2.0 zetec automatic and I can't do better than 20mpg I do mostly highway driving in the winter I do a mere 17 mpg
some of you claim 30mpg with manual transmission. Car and Driver reported 25mpg after a long term roadtest of automatic 2001 SE Wagon
I think these numbers are BS
bottom line is I think people can't calculate MPG properly

She drives 70% Highway and 30% City.Wow, that makes a 100%. GRIN! Her average mileage since she purchased the car has been 30.4 Imperial MPG (I check every tank for her and average it.) That includes the Canadian winter when we often get -25 c (Minus 13 F) Geoff

I have a 2001 Ford Escape with the 2.0 litre Zetec engine and 5 speed stick shift. Although the Escape is heavier and larger than the Focus, I usually get between 21 (mostly city) to 28 (mostly highway per US gallon. This is close to the original numbers posted by the EPA. I also have a 2004 Focus ZX5 with the 2.3 PZEV engine and automatic. That's mostly used on the highway, but that only gets 28 tops so far, but isn't completely broken in yet.
JPH
GP wrote:

ever got was 27 Imperial gallons on the Highway at about 120 Kph. And that's a car! It goes like a bat in hell though. Love it. Geoff

There is no such engine as a 3 Litre Zetec. There is a Duratec 3 Litre - not even close to the Zetec a totally different engine design. =======Nice! I have a '99 sable with the 3 litre Zetec (200hp) and the best I have ever got was 27 Imperial gallons on the Highway at about 120 Kph. And that's a car! It goes like a bat in hell though. Love it. Geoff

The combination of larger engine and automatic cuts fuel economy by 3 mpg (hwy) and 2 mpg (city) according to the EPA. EPA figures are 30 (hwy) and 24 (city) for an automatic 2.3L.
Don
    My 2003 ZTW has settled at just under 32 mpg imperial or about 26.4 mpg US. This is over about three months since the 20000 Km. service. About half city and half highway driving. Mileage was worse prior to the service. Just after the service the mileage was even better than it is now. They told me they would be working on the brakes. I think they (the brakes) may be subject to binding and dragging (disks on all wheels on this model). The car has 25000 Km. on it.

The most of the gasoline pumps in Canada are "adjusted for temperature" (don't know about the U.S. or Europe) so how is one able to judge fuel economy.
The pump is set to a mean temperature for 15 degrees C. So if the temperature is below 15C you get less volume of gas and above 15 degrees C you get closer to the real volume. The oil companies have used the argument for years that you are buying energy and not volume. Just like natural gas you are buying by energy not volume of gas. Everyone knows it bullshit, its like buying a piece of meat and it is being sold to you by the amount of protein it has. So how can you accurately judge MPG or KPL when the volume of fuel you put in your can is not consistent.

Volume changes of petrol with temperature are inconsequential when it comes to calculating economy.
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your customers drift off to free webmail services install your own web gateway! -- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----
Not so!
The pump says 20 litres but it only really pumped 19. The pump says 20 litres but it pumped 20.7. How can you accurately work out mpg or kpl.???

Volume changes of petrol with temperature are inconsequential when it comes to calculating economy.
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your customers drift off to free webmail services install your own web gateway! -- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

in quantity of gas. Don't fret about a couple of ounces?ml Geoff

------------ And now a word from our sponsor --------------------- For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption upgrade to SurgeFTP ---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----