2003 focus are gas guzzlers

If it wasn't adjusted by temerature you would have an even bigger variation in quantity of gas. Don't fret about a couple of ounces?ml Geoff

Reply to
GP

Really?? it's still available on the ZX5. I can't imagine it not being available on other models. You get it with the Advanced Trac - in fact the Advance trac doesn't work without getting 4 wheel disc brakes.

Reply to
Roarmeister

The difference in density of gasoline between 0°C and 20°C is about 2%, so I wouldn't worry so much about the effect this has on your calculations for the sake of tracking economy. Also, as you said, since the volume delivered at the pump is temperature-adjusted, you are always buying the same amount of total energy. A litre of gasoline dispensed at 20°C and then cooled to

0°C will occupy a smaller volume (hopefully nothing evaporates!) but it still has the same total amount of energy, so when a driver in Canada in the winter compares his fuel economy in L/100km with someone in sunny Spain, they are at least comparing apples with apples. Your comparison to meat is not relevant. Meat's value is subjective, and the size of the piece of meat is important, not the total protein content. However, the total energy content of the unit of gasoline which I purchase is the only important, objective thing, and the only fair system for selling gasoline is to have temperature compensation. If a pump in Alaska and a pump in Florida both sold a gallon of gasoline from a non-temperarture-compensated pump for $1.60, then ignoring for the moment other factors which influence economy which are not related to the gasoline, the driver in Alaska is going to travel farther on his $1.60 than the driver in Florida, because his "gallon" of gasoline has more energy. Therefore, the fact that pumps are adjusted for temperature is a *requirement* to calculate a meaningful and consistent fuel economy figure. Personally, I'd love to buy chilled gasoline pumped into a sealed fuel system, because I could go further on a tank. Formula One tried this until they banned the practice.

Stephen

------------ And now a word from our sponsor --------------------- For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption upgrade to SurgeFTP

---- See

----

Reply to
Stephen F.

Here all gas station tanks are buried in the ground, the temperature of the pumped gas will thus vary much less then the air temperature. /per

"Stephen F." skrev i meddelandet news:41909ce4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.unibe.ch...

Reply to
per

I have never gotten 30mpg on my 2001 focus zts with zetec. The times I have checked the milage, I have gotten 25mpg with 80% highway.

Reply to
Alex Kondovski

Sorry not to get back quicker, I have been busy. Four wheel disks were a part of the Advanc Trac (1,775 CDN) option. It seems that it dissapeared in 2004 along with the 16" wheels, the 205 tires and a number of other things that made it a really nice package in 2003. I think they want to force folks who want that kind of equipement to go to the Mazda wagons which of course cost more (and are still pretty much Fords).

Reply to
Way