2004 Ford Focus 2.3L Zetec rear suspension wear onto tires

Brought my Ford Focus in for tire service due to unusual tire wear at 32,000 miles. Got tires warranteed for 60K. I replaced standard 205-R50/16 tires that came with care with Bridgestones of the same size.
When tires were removed, tech noticed wear on the inside of the tire due to interference , apparently, with the rear suspension. The tech also owned a 2002 Focus which displayed similar issues with tires. Any expereince out there in solving the problem? Is it mis-alignment of tires, improper design, and placement of the strut, wobble of the tire, a loose strut or something else.
Car has been mostly problem free for the last year (since pruchsed new) except for sqeaky brakes in the wet, and a coming dealer visit for a non-operational Cruise Control. Looking for some leads I can follow to identify this problem quickly. Do not want the wear problem repeated with the new tires.
I checked around the tires in the resting state and did not fell any obvious interference problems. There appeas to be about 1 1/2 inches clearance at the point of strut contact to the axel and wheel. At the top, there appears to be about 3/4 of an inch from the edge of the tire to the edge of the shielded strut. Do things move around down there that would cause contact when a car is turning?
Dan Roy wrote:

Negative camber is by design, I believe.
Ron
--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right