2005 Focus Brakes

Do Ford's brakes squeal when they need to be replaced like GM?
TIA

K2NNJ wrote:

Hi: Very good question. I have a 2005 Focus also. The brakes sarted squeeking at about 15000 miles. At 18000 miles, I had the brakes inspected. The result was that everything was O.K. with sufficient lining left on the pads and shoes, The car is at 20000 and still squealing just as the car comes to a stop. It's annoying, but apparently normal(??)GC
Brake pads squeal when metal rubs on metal - the pads should be replaced long before this.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com

A "squeal" assuming that we are referring to a high pitched noise, is NOT metal on metal and doesn't indicate a need to replace the pad. A grinding noise is metal to metal and like the previous poster states, the pads should have been replaced long before that. Disc brakes tend to squeal and can do so even when relatively new. It most cases it's not a problem. There are products that can help reduce the squeal that basically act as a vibration reducer on the back of pad.
As far as the orignal post, there are GM cars on which the disc pads produce a "chirp" when nearly replacement time. This is accomlished by a small soft metal tab that contacts the disc when the brakes pads are worn. Unfortunately I have no idea if Focus has these as mine is too new to have dealt with the brakes.
I will have them checked anyway next week when I have the tires balanced and rotated. But I think the suealing is normal. If I remember correctly, I had them checked once before and I was told they we're fine. This was at a Ford dealer in NJ.
Thanks.
wrote

The brakes on my 2005 focus wagon started squealing at 4300 miles, the dealer says it was common for the focus, they've had it in the shop twice now and it still squeals at 11000 miles.
K2NNJ wrote:

Bill wrote:

I recently had the front brakes replaced on my '01 ZX3, at 107,000 miles. They never squeaked once in all that time...
Ron
I replaced my own front pads and rotors a year ago and mine squeal a bunch, not all the time but especially when damp or cold. I was told that it's because of vibration of the pads and the lack of lube behind the pads in the pad socket. Guess what, I forgot to put some brake lube behind the pads when I did the job, I've even thought of removing and putting some back there but I don't cause I wonder how long it would last anyway. I just put up with the squeal.
To me it's sad that 2007 was the last year for the Focus wagon, I'd purchase another for sure if I could.

We'll like I said I am bringing it to the dealership next week. It's still under orig. warranty. I'll post the findings.

My 01 has almost always squeaked. A 1.5 years ago took in to have inspected since we were moving across country and will be towing a trailer. They said fine, lots of life left. Last week they started grinding. They did not squeak any louder or different sounding before the grinding. We have 37,000 miles on it. Moderate driving, nothing that should have made the brakes fail prematurely.
In message

What makes you think 37k miles for the life expectancy is abnormal?
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com