2005 zx3: clunking sound?

Hi -

I just bought a rather stripped-down 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 - all it's got is AC in the way of extras. It currently has about 700 miles on it. Over the last week or so, I've been noticing a kind of clunking sound coming from the left rear corner of the vehicle when I'm driving, particularly if I'm on a dirt road or going over bumps. It sounds like it's coming from the left rear wheel well, but it *could* be the rear seat latch. Maybe it's been doing it since I bought it, maybe not - if there's any sound in the car (stereo, road noise, etc.) I can't hear it. Question is, has anyone experienced this? Anyone know what it is?

Thanks -

Matt

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" wrote

I'd check to see if your spare tire and associated jack and handle are secure.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I have the same problem on a 2000 Estate (UK). I have completely removed the rear seats, and it sounds the same only louder. It's been doing it for over

2 years now. I got a friend to drive the car whilst l lay in the back. It sounds underneath, and is a dull heavy thud, but no sign of anything loose or worn. Car has covered over 12K miles and it isn't getting better or worse . Four garages have looked at it, but failed to find any fault.
Reply to
Clueless

yeah, I think I figured out what it was. I don't know how earlier models of the Focus work, but when you fold the rear seats down, you need to first fold the seat cushions up (the part you sit on in the back seat), and then fold the back rests down. The cushions that you sit on in the back seat (just being overly specific here so you know what I'm talking about) have a metal shield on the underside, so that when they fold up, there's a metal shield between whatever's in the expanded trunk and you in the front.

I think it was the metal of the cushion's underside bumping against the metal body of the car that was making the sound. but it should have some padding there, I think, 'cause it's loud and annoying when the seat's up.

Reply to
Matt