ABS light

2003 Focus Estate. ABS light does not always come on on self test, but then comes on when the others have gone off. Stays on for a while whilst driving and sometimes the handbrake/brake
fluid light comes on. Brake fluid levels check ok. Tried braking on icy road and ABS works ok. Instrument cluster circuit board looks ok, no signs of corrosion. Sometimes instrument lights work as they should. Where do I start looking for the fault?
Thanks Dobbin
Could well be ABS control module, best connect PC and look for trouble codes etc.
If this is the case it will be very expensive to replace and program by Ford dealer, a cheaper option before this is to get a friend with a Laptop and OBDC2 interface and software to look for trouble codes. Also get wiring diagram print out from Autodata or similar and check ALL connectors, relays, switches and fuses associated with the ABS Module.
Hope this is of some help - Mike

Thanks Dobbin
Dobbin wrote:

You can get any fault codes without connecting any diagnostic kit:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid7&ht=Instrument%20Cluster%20Test%20and%20Diagnostic%20Mode
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 07:41:44 +0100, Davey wrote:
[...]

Note that this only displays DTC (Dashboard Trouble Code) data.
To carry out fault diagnosis on anything important, an OBDII reader will be required.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

True, to carry out fault diagnosis, you'll need an OBDII reader, but the dash will still show any fault codes which are registered in the ECU, which will get you started.
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 09:48:29 +0100, Davey wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's plain wrong.
It won't show any fault codes at all, other than those related to dashboard faults.
This:
"NOTE: DTC Codes are not to be used for diagnosing problems. If you believe there is a problem with your car, you should have it scanned with an OBD-II code reader. DTC Errors are typically no cause for alarm."
comes from the page you have posted a link to.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

Can't argue with that.

I will have to take the cluster out and see if I can disconnect the wiring to these two troublesome lights and link them up to one of the others that is working ok. I can't afford to have my car fail the mot test because of a bulb not coming on.
Dobbin.