Air Bag Panel Indicator Light Doesn't Stay Off on 2000 Focus SE

Hi guys! I just bought this car two months ago (only 19218 original miles on it) and it drives very well. However, last week this light remained on after the initial few seconds after starting the car. Because of Christmas
running around, etc. I haven't brought it in yet. The manual says to bring it in for servicing, which I plan on doing this week but, thought I would ask for any helpful insights from anyone here that this may have happened to already?
We have had a past few days of single digit temps here in western NY and thought that may have affected something in the connections. As stated above this car is five years old, but has very low mileage on it and is very clean.
Thanks for any helpful comments.
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 13:28:50 -0500, "Pacus...Archon in training"

IMHO:
You wouldn't drive around without a seatbelt(I'm guessing), so why would you continue driving a car who's intigral safety component is asking for help? Just making a point, you need to get the vehicle serviced. The airbag could either fail to deploy upon impact, or it could deploy for no reason. Either way it could be very harmful to you and your car.
hth,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com
Ummm, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. This just happened last week, pretty much right before Christmas. Priority wise it sat a little low on the list of things to take care of immediately but, I did say I was taking it in this week. I guess after bringing my cars in whenever the "Service Engine" lamp wouldn't go out and finding out it was either a bad connection or was programmed to remain lit after a certain period (i.e.50000 miles) and hearing the same from many others regarding the dreaded "Service Engine" light I kinda don't go into panic mode when I see a light stay on (excluding the temp and/or oil light--I prefer needle gages, actually). As far as seat belts go, yes I use them all the time. But it wasn't always so. I went for years without using them, and I remember when all cars didn't have them.
Anyway, I was hoping on hearing from someone that has experience with this particular light remaining on so when I do take it in I may have a little forewarning of what he will find.
Thanks, and still looking for helpful comments.
wrote:

miles
on
Christmas
bring
very
"Pacus...Archon in training" wrote:

Personally I would not worry about it. Just take the thing in and get it corrected when you can.
It it kind of funny you bring this up as mine is on after a collision at 65 MPH with a deer even though the bags did not deploy, seat belts tightened on impact. Got the body work done however the shop did not reset the air bag system. Plan to take the car in after the first of the year to reset the air bag system and correct some engine stall problems I have been having.
--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

I doubt it's an emergency. The dangerous scenario would be an improper deployment, but I've never heard of that in the Focus. The worst you might realistically expect is that for some reason the air bag would not deploy in an accident, but if you use your seat belts your risk is lessened.
By all means take it in ASAP if you wish, or you could just put a piece of black electrical tape over the light and wait until your next scheduled service, which I presume is fairly soon.
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:08:05 -0500, Dave Gower wrote:

In fact, the combination of airbag and a seat belt that is not used could in some cases be more dangerous than a car without airbag. If You have a low speed (a speed that would normally only cause none or minor injury even without airbag) collision the airbag itself can kill You if You dont use the seatbelt.

Pacus...Archon in training wrote:

My information relates to UK spec cars, but may still be relevant wherever you are.
The most likely cause of this is the connector to the seat belt pretensioners becoming detached or broken. This connector is under the front seats and is often damaged when the vehicle has been vacuum cleaned. The air bag warning light then stays on. Also, the red led by the clock will flash a fault code when you turn the ignition on. If you count the number of flashes, a dealer can tell you what the code represents. I can't remember if the seatbelt pretensioner code is 4 or 6 flashes.
The cure may just be to push the connector back together, or it may need the seat belt pretensioner replacing.
HTH, and apologies if this is not applicable to your vehicle.
Chris.
--
Remove prejudice to reply

I had exactly the same problem when I bought my 2000 Focus (2nd Hand, at 50k)...
The Airbag light refused to turn off. So I took mine into the garage and they tested the engine with one of those fancy computer things. The light isn't on any more... trouble is, are my airbags still working???