Air condition always on

Ford Focus 2003: can't switch off cooling; no matter if the green light on A/C switch is on or off - the cooling is working permanently. Any idea what's wrong? Thank you...

Reply to
salonowiec

Do you have the air direction control set to demist? If so, the A/C switches on automatically to assist in clearing the screen. All but the earliest cars have this feature.

Try setting the direction control to a position other than demist and see if the A/C goes off.

BTW, it is documented in the owner's handbook...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Referring to:

page36, those are my controls. Do you mean the last right setting: "Distributes outside air through the windshield defroster vents. The air conditioner will automatically turn on to dehumidify the air. "? Truly, I missed this remark, probably everything is O.K. Thank you...

Reply to
salonowiec

It's me again; I started the engine in the morning, set the direction to to panel vents only, set the temperature selection to full blue and there's still some cool coming out - not very cold, but... The temperature selection shouldn't have any meaning when A/C is off, am I right?...

Reply to
salonowiec

What do you think the temperature selection control does? Is this your first car?

Perhaps a thorough study of the hand book would be a good idea.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

First Ford Focus... But, when the A/C switch is off - the temperature selector is supposed to control heating only. If I'm wrong what the A/ C switch is for?...

Reply to
salonowiec

The heating temperature control blends outside air entering the car with air heated by the engine. If you put the heating control all the way to the coldest (blue) setting, but leave the A/C off, the temperature of the air coming out of the vents should be the same as the temperature of the air outside.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you put the heating control all the way to the

And that's the point! and we are at the beginning again... The air coming out of the vents is much cooler than the one outside (with A/C off, air flow selector at 1st left position). Bogdan

Reply to
salonowiec

How do you know? Have you measured it? Does it get cooler if you switch the A/C on?

Oddly, one of the complaints that some owners have about the Focus is that the air coming out of the vents always has a small amount of heated air in it; I've never heard of problems with it being too cool.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

O. K. I'll check everything carefully again but it all looks very strange. Focus is not my first car with AC... Thank you...

Reply to
salonowiec

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 01:48:21 -0700 (PDT), salonowiec wrote Re Re: Air condition always on:

When this is occurring, have you checked to see if the a/c clutch is engaged and the compressor is turning?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

This might help. As others have mentioned, the A/C will run to dehumidify the circulating air.

-- Don

Reply to
Don McC

I had more time today and checked everything carefully: the A/C is working properly! Probably there was my fault - at the start of the engine the A/C was on for some 10-15 seconds and so the air was cool quite a long time... Excuse me for the hassle at the newsgroup - Bogdan...

P.S What may be a true fuel consumption in urban cycle (F. Focus 2003, 45

000 km, benzin)? My last calculation was horrible: about 12,5/100km in about 300km ride...
Reply to
salonowiec