Air Conditioner

The air conditioner on my 2002 wagon doesn't seem to cool as much as that on my 2001 so I bought special thermometer with a long stem that inserts into the vent to test it. I did the test on a 90 degree day in Baltimore Maryland. The result was that the two vents on the passenger side (right side from occupants perspective) were putting out much cooler air than the two on the left. From left to right, here were the results in degrees Fahrenheit:

74 72 55 55. In my 2001 Focus the results were 64 62 60 62, more in line with what you would expect.

It seems to me that something is wrong with the 2002, but I have no idea what. I would like to have some theory before I take it to the dealer because I suspect that they will be disinclined to fix it. Has anyone out there experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Compton

Have you tried closing the two vents on the right side of the car and see if that impacts your readings any? I think there's some kind of (splitter) that seperates the air flow that's not adjusted correctly. I don't know the real names of the part but I'm sure someone here does... Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

"Gary Compton" wrote

I'd ask the dealer to check under the dash. Sounds like the ducting/controls may be installed incorrectly. Probably a simple fix i.e. just move something a little bit.

Reply to
Dave Gower

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HbgpodLW) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com:

My wife owns a 2000 and had to take it to the dealer under warranty (not any more) to have the dash taken out and have the controls replaced. Her AC worked but wouldn't come out of the vents at all because the controls were broken/locked closed. It may be a common Focus problem.

Reply to
Casey Stamper

air should be 38-40 from the vents

Reply to