airbag light

My light just came on, no wreck or anything I can think of. What parts could be involved? What would a dealer charge to diagnose the problem? This is a high milage car, 175,000 miles, I'm wondering if it might be a wiring problem. I have a shop manual cd, I can read and follow a wiring diagram, but can't find any in this manual. Help Please. Mike

Reply to
Mike Eppler

Something similar happened to my mother's '96 Buick Skylark. Eventually, all the dash lights began acting flaky, and ultimately, the car refused to start. The fault was traced to the car's onboard passive security computer.

Your car probably doesn't suffer from this exact fault, but I bring it up because the light might be related to some other electrical problem, rather than being an airbag problem per se.

Reply to
Benjamin Robinson

I'm guessing this is a US car? If so, the following may not apply, but on European versions the most common reason for this problem is damage to the seatbelt pre-tensioner connector under the front seats. Did the light come on after cleaning under the seats, or was something pushed under them?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Reply to
Mike Eppler

Mike Eppler wrote:

OK. So it wasn't really the case that the light just came on; it did it after you were working near the airbag...

I would check for a dislodged connector really carefully in the region of the steering column where you have been working.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan